Dazzling Spray rocks over IMB.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 14:53

Dazzling Spray rocks over IMB.

EDIT: DISREGARD THAT, LEARNDB SUCKS COCKS

Here's why:

1) 1 mp cost less.
2) MUCH less noise.
3) Gains spellpower approximately half as fast.
4) Maxes out damage much faster.
5) At max damage deals almost as much damage as IMB (2d20 /it's 2d9 now/ vs 2d23).
6) Doesn't require point-blank to hit multible targets.
7) Stuns enemies and ignores MR to boot.

Disadvantages?

1) 1 less range.
2) 1 less accuracy.
3) Doubleschool, so advantage nr. 3 is moot more or less.

Problem, Iskenderun?
(FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...)
Last edited by kuniqs on Friday, 2nd December 2016, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 15:01

Re: Dazzling Spray rocks over IMB.

Yes, Dazzling Spray is OP. I find that all new spells/species/gods are OP. I believe devs stopped adding weak things in those categories, they add OP things and then sometimes nerf them a bit to have them not as OP as initially.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Rast

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 15:53

You think Fo and Qazlal are OP?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 15:55

Yes

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 16:18

Okay.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 18:02

kuniqs wrote:Here's why:

1) 1 mp cost less.
2) MUCH less noise.
3) Gains spellpower approximately half as fast.
4) Maxes out damage much faster.
5) At max damage deals almost as much damage as IMB (2d20 vs 2d23).
6) Doesn't require point-blank to hit multible targets.
7) Stuns enemies and ignores MR to boot.

Disadvantages?

1) 1 less range.
2) Doubleschool (but this also means that Spellcasting counts double towards spellpower).

Problem, Iskenderun?
(FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...)

Some corrections:

It blinds, rather than stuns, creatures still act mostly normally, but have a penalty to hit and can be invis tier stabbed unless they have see invis.

IMB can hit multiple targets at range (it is just inconsistent about hitting multiple creatures)

Spellpower really doesn't "count as double towards spell power" spellcasting has the exact same contribution, it is just that conjuration and hexes each have half the contribution. I get what you mean, but phrasing it that way is slightly misleading.

"Gains spellpower about half as fast" is really a disadvantage (counteracted of course by the lower max spellpower and the earlier max damage)

Also: imb has a larger to hit than dazzling spray, it is often overlooked that imb is hella accurate (even over many other conjurations)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 18:17

Siegurt wrote:Also: imb has a larger to hit than dazzling spray, it is often overlooked that imb is hella accurate (even over many other conjurations)

It's easy to explain. Devs don't want to show 40% accuracy for Lightning Bolt, 60% for Dazzling Spray and 80% for IMB because it would lead to "decision paralysis" (which is called "decision-making" and "tactics" in other games).

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
lethediver, ydeve

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 19:49

Siegurt wrote:Some corrections:
Spellcasting really doesn't "count as double towards spell power" spellcasting has the exact same contribution, it is just that conjuration and hexes each have half the contribution. I get what you mean, but phrasing it that way is slightly misleading.

Thanks, I tested it in wizard mode and what you said is true. What actually happens is that for multi-school spells Spellcasting brings down spell failure faster than for single-school ones, which is IMO an advantage considering that you probably want more MP early.

Siegurt wrote:"Gains spellpower about half as fast" is really a disadvantage (counteracted of course by the lower max spellpower and the earlier max damage)

I said both DS and IMB have almost the same damage at max spellpower didn't I? How in this scenario "Gains spellpower about half as fast" is a disadvantage? IMB deals at most 6 damage more than DS.
Siegurt wrote:Also: imb has a larger to hit than dazzling spray, it is often overlooked that imb is hella accurate (even over many other conjurations)

Yes, a whole 1 point of accuracy more than DS. Will DS survive this shattering fact?

Protip: if you're a conjurer who has better Hexes and/or Spellcasting aptitude than Conjurations (Spriggan, Vampire, Deep Elf, Formicid) then you're better off going for DS than IMB. By training Hexes you also train Fulminant Prism, which is indispensable to a Conjurer IMO.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 20:18

kuniqs wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Some corrections:
Spellcasting really doesn't "count as double towards spell power" spellcasting has the exact same contribution, it is just that conjuration and hexes each have half the contribution. I get what you mean, but phrasing it that way is slightly misleading.

Thanks, I tested it in wizard mode and what you said is true. What actually happens is that for multi-school spells Spellcasting brings down spell failure faster than for single-school ones, which is IMO an advantage considering that you probably want more MP early.

Yes, again, spellcasting itself has the same effect on success rate, it is just that the schools of multi school spells are worse. I am not sure how "spellcasting has the same effect, but other schools get worse" can really be looked at as an advantage.

To be clear: for multi-school spells, the *average* of all the schools is treated the same way as the *singular* spell school of a single-school spell, spellcasting has the same fixed effect regardless of how many schools the spell has. (Thereby becoming *relatively* more vaulable by virtue of each of the schools getting worse the more schools you add)
kuniqs wrote:
Siegurt wrote:"Gains spellpower about half as fast" is really a disadvantage (counteracted of course by the lower max spellpower and the earlier max damage)

I said both DS and IMB have almost the same damage at max spellpower didn't I? How in this scenario "Gains spellpower about half as fast" is a disadvantage? IMB deals at most 6 damage more than DS.

Because gaining spellpower is a benefit, getting that benefit more slowly is a disadvantage. It is a *very small* disadvantage in this case, but it is a disadvantage, and shouldn't be listed as a "benefit"
kuniqs wrote:

Yes, a whole 1 point of accuracy more than DS. Will DS survive this shattering fact?

I didnt say the difference was large, or that it negated your point at all, only that it was something that wasn't listed in imb's advantages. A minor accuracy benefit doesn't in any way detract from your point, it was just something that wasn't mentioned.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 02:58

dazzling spray got nerfed to 2d9 damage at max spellpower recently (by which I mean since may) if you don't know the format of the commit differences the formula was changed from 2d(4+pow/8) to 2d(3+pow/8)

edit: okay I actually read through the dice code, dazzling spray never did 2d20 damage at max spellpower, it was always 2d10

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks: 6
duvessa, kuniqs, pedritolo, Sar, scorpionwarrior, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 13:34

I was once stopped by a spectator who asked "Did you just two-shot a Tentacled Monstrosity with a Dazzling Spray?".

Had to tell him I did but most of the damage was done by Dithmenos's spell mimic.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 13:56

CanOfWorms wrote:dazzling spray got nerfed to 2d9 damage at max spellpower recently (by which I mean since may) if you don't know the format of the commit differences the formula was changed from 2d(4+pow/8) to 2d(3+pow/8)

edit: okay I actually read through the dice code, dazzling spray never did 2d20 damage at max spellpower, it was always 2d10

Cool. Turns out learndb is as reliable as the wiki

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 4th December 2016, 01:48

I like spray to just blind ranged units, and to set up stab attacks for melee.

I like MB to blow up fulminant prisms against packs.

A lot of the conjurer spells excel at close range. MB blows up a lot when u shoot monsters next to you.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th December 2016, 17:00

also turns out there's no noticeable difference in Crawl between 2d20 and 2d10

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, duvessa, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice