Decent Magic-Melee Build?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 11:42

Decent Magic-Melee Build?

I wanted to see if anyone would know a decent build for offensive magic|charm magic with melee. Similar to a Kensai/Mage build like in baldurs-gate if that's even feasible, right now I'm rolling as a Human/Fire Conj with chainmail and a longsword hoping that I might lucky enough to stumble across the Plutonium sword. Seem to be doing well for now, deepest I ever gotten in this game is the 14th floor I think as pure melee under Xom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 12:08

Re: Decent Magic-Melee Build?

DrIE, HOFE
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
nago, Sar, ydeve

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 15:38

Chain mail is usually bit too heavy to use on an attack-spell conjurer. Well, at the start it definitely is without Wizardry.

Finding the pluto sword is something that very likely isn't going to happen. Usually the first branded scimitar is worth enchanting and if you're not going for shields then the first branded (or even unbranded) great sword.

Sprucery's two suggestions are spot-on. In fact, most draconians and hill orcs make good hybrids. I'd add merfolks there too. Minotaurs ofc make good warrior/mages but there is a 'danger' of getting too melee oriented :)

I see greater things to come for you in the future if your best character so far worshiped Xom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 20:35

srifenbyxp wrote:I wanted to see if anyone would know a decent build for offensive magic|charm magic with melee. Similar to a Kensai/Mage build like in baldurs-gate if that's even feasible, right now I'm rolling as a Human/Fire Conj with chainmail and a longsword hoping that I might lucky enough to stumble across the Plutonium sword. Seem to be doing well for now, deepest I ever gotten in this game is the 14th floor I think as pure melee under Xom.

Revelant spells to low% fail, skill into mele (bulk and min delay) when your god boost kicks in, then big spells. Altrernately start with a meledude/lancherdude with decent int and branch into charms/summons/necro/air. You'll cap armor at ring/scale for level 8-9 nukes if you find manuals/farm all the exp or mid tier dragon/scale/chain for level 6-7 spells, this varries by race and aptidude ofc.

Focus utility spells as needed but don't spread yourself thin trying to learn all the shinies.

You generaly want a race with spiked apts or an area of low/no invest, and a start with useable int (10-11 minimum) alongside workable str/dex. Investing in int on mele/skaldish starts is generaly not worth it, you can find enough int/wiz via gear to cast at reasonable succes/spell power.

God wise any low invo invest dudes/makleb/chei all shine nicely.

Overall hybrid runs are pretty flexible and you just use the best shit floorgod tosses you to get something half ass coherent going by lair branches/elf and roll from there.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 14th November 2016, 22:14

Seriously just fire up some draconians and try out different book starts, go nuts.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 20:31

If you're feeling adventurous and don't mind some fighter-biased distractions in the mix, also try playing a string of Draconian Wanderers.

Some of them will not get books or high Int. But others will get amazing combinations of books (including some non-standard ones) to start with. So you can try some wild combos if you work them a while.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 02:15

If you want decent 'supportive spells + melee attacks + transmutations' : MfSk^Ash.

If you want decent 'destructive spells + melee attacks + heavy armours' : TeAE^Chei.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 11:08

I wonder why no one has mentioned MfIE yet. Its definition is like what the OP describes (plus some ice beasts).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 11:37

srifenbyxp wrote:decent build for offensive magic|charm magic with melee

The former is something blaster casters naturally gravitate towards in lategame (i.e. Depths/Vaults): melee is a good solution for "this isn't a serious threat, I want to kill it without spending MP".

I assume the latter actually means "cast buffs then go melee" - which in turn means Tm who happens to pick up Charms/Translocations later down the road.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 14:00

stickyfingers wrote:I wonder why no one has mentioned MfIE yet. Its definition is like what the OP describes (plus some ice beasts).

Because DrIE was mentioned

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 14:26

Whenever I've tried to play a "blaster caster" by refusing to train melee, I die. It's a challenge roleplay.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 11:23

papilo wrote:TeAE^Chei

imo don't do this

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 15:08

Sar wrote:
papilo wrote:TeAE^Chei

imo don't do this

How could I miss it? A long time ago I was trying to win TeAE of Vehumet and I lost about 7 characters before I finally gave up and came to the forum to ask for an advice. I was told to use some bows and forget about Vehumet and it worked nicely. I cannot even imagine pain of new player who's trying to win the combo with Chei...
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 19:28

I think going for a hybrid is just being efficient with what you decide to use for it. This would vary with character creation and god choices.

DGs can hybrid well because of 2stats every 3 levels. When i make DG casters I go for mostly Int, and raise str when I want to upgrade armour.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 15:26

VeryAngryFelid wrote:How could I miss it? A long time ago I was trying to win TeAE of Vehumet and I lost about 7 characters before I finally gave up and came to the forum to ask for an advice. I was told to use some bows and forget about Vehumet and it worked nicely.

I'm sure that works. But you might as well go Trog, if that's the strategy. If you want to play TeAE as AE, then it's just like any other AE, except that you train dodging like crazy and go a little more easy on Static Discharge.

EDIT: With regard to OP: There are many combos that would fit the bill. But I agree with Sprucery that DrIE and HOFE are the ones that stand out as being the easiest to play with the most room for making mistakes.
Last edited by Utis on Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 15:28

Utis wrote:I'm sure that works. But you might as well go Trog, if that's the strategy. If you want to play TeAE as AE, then it's just like any other AE, except that you train dodging like crazy and go a little more easy on Static Discharge.

My point was that the combo is very hard for new players if played as AE so it should not be recommended ITT.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 15:33

That's true. It's a good start, but very unforgiving. OTOH, if a new players doesn't mind dying a lot until they see the strength, then playing AE involves acquiring very good tactical habits, even for other starts.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 15:35

OP is asking for decent magic-melee build, TeAE is not one of them IMHO. Too fragile.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 15:39

Not IMO (but I don't want annoy people with yet another Tengu discussion). But, yeah, if AE seems attractive, then DrAE or DgAE is probably better for new players.

For this message the author Utis has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice