Unallocated experience ... 17k of it!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 24th July 2011, 09:31

Unallocated experience ... 17k of it!

Hello,

New player here ... having a blast. Finding lots of great advice on the forums and wiki ... but a question around unallocated experience.

I'm a level 14 Spriggan enhanter (sorry, not learned all the shortcut codes yet!) and I've got 17k exp and it keeps going up. I've turned off all other skills apart from fighting, as I've been neglecting it and it's only 6 (with a -2 modifier!). The skill does appear to be going up (v. slowly) ... but my unallocated experience is growning at a faster rate.

Obv. what I need to do is fight more (and not hibernate them and one hit stab em to death ;) ) ... and I've been trying this with easy mobs and still my unallocated is growning faster than my fighting skill. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I'm on 0.81 build.

Thanks,
Zedzed
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 24th July 2011, 09:41

Re: Unallocated experience ... 17k of it!

Ok ... quick reply to my own post. I'm guessing that confusing mobs and killing them is still stabbing (not fighting). But ... a follow on then ... do I get unallocated XP allocated to fighting just by using the skill ... or does killing the mob with only fighting (i.e. not stabbing) grant a bigger boost into the skill?
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 24th July 2011, 10:41

I think basically the way it works is every time you hit an enemy with a melee attack, you have a chance of training fighting. If you're killing enemies in one or two hits, you're not getting very many chances to spend your XP. Your best bet is to only stab threatening monsters. For easy monsters, just whack away at them in honorable combat. It especially helps if you can find a few relatively harmless monsters with good defenses, like agate snails. You can get a lot of hits on them before they die. If you really want to be efficient, you could use your weakest weapon (like a +0 +0 dagger).

Note that as your fighting skill gets higher, it will train at a faster rate. So yes, eventually you should be able to spend your xp faster than you earn it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th July 2011, 11:44

And if you upgrade to trunk (0.9), all the experience will be instantly dumped into whatever skills you have turned on.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 25th July 2011, 12:25

zedzed wrote:I'm a level 14 Spriggan enhanter (sorry, not learned all the shortcut codes yet!) and I've got 17k exp and it keeps going up. I've turned off all other skills apart from fighting, as I've been neglecting it and it's only 6 (with a -2 modifier!). The skill does appear to be going up (v. slowly) ... but my unallocated experience is growning at a faster rate.

Obv. what I need to do is fight more (and not hibernate them and one hit stab em to death ;) ) ... and I've been trying this with easy mobs and still my unallocated is growning faster than my fighting skill. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I'm on 0.81 build.

Fighting in general is slow to increase, due to it only have a 10% chance or something (not sure of exact figures) of taking XP even when its on: it will often lag behind your weaponskills and theres no easy way to Victory Dance it. In the later game, its not unusual to have a large pool because of this if its the only physical skill on. Unfortunately, you'll just have to be patient; and yes, its normal in the Stable (0.8) build.

Trunk (0.9) is the in-progress beta version which is currently testing out some new XP system I'm not familiar with but which is apparently stopping Victory Dancing once and for all.

The shortcut codes are just the first two letters of Class/Race put together for lazy typing, BTW. A SpEn is a Spriggan Enchanter.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th July 2011, 16:10

eharper256 wrote:Trunk (0.9) is the in-progress beta version which is currently testing out some new XP system I'm not familiar with but which is apparently stopping Victory Dancing once and for all.

You still need to have used a skill at least once (preferably 10 times, I believe) in order for experience to begin allocating to it, so there is a sort of pre-victory dancing (war dancing?) in order to eventually acquire a skill, but afterwards there is 0 need for victory dancing.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 25th July 2011, 17:40

Thanks for all the advice/info - much appreciated :) Always great to find forums where the "old hands" help out the newbie (as long as he's not asking really daft questions :) ).

Zed

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice