Spriggans with long blades?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 21:06

Spriggans with long blades?

Many spriggans, and certainly almost every SpEn, the most common class for this race, pump stealth as the very first thing they do, leading to a natural predisposition towards short blades. But short blades are not really ideal for endgame or extended, so a swap is needed unless you go blaster mage route (which is generally not done with a -3 conjurations apt).

Long blades have Riposte in addition to endgame worthy stats (even with the smallest race) and considering Spriggan dodges like... everything, they're also riposting 50% of that amount. Add to that the fact that LB already has exp points from crosstraining. I'm getting the feeling that for late game, long blades are optimal for literally every single spriggan that doesn't find a ridiculous artifact of some sort and isn't playing a challenge game. I definitely recall swapping to a decent long blade even with a nominal amount of exp in the skill and just destroying hoards with Riposte. Thoughts?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 22:49

Re: Spriggans with long blades?

LB can work with SP, but SP are so horribly bad regarding HP/AC that you still dont want to be in melee range of anything scary. And melee/conj are hardly the only available routes, evo works splendidly well, necromancy is the most awesomest, tornado/shatter are possible to get up in a 3rune game, just running away is fine too.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 02:56

Also demon whips are 1h for them while demon blades are 2h, so you need to give up your shield. Not saying that it is bad, just something to consider.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 03:24

It was changed in trunk/0.19 as far as I remember.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 16:08

Well then I think LB are very good on Sp if you want to melee.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th November 2016, 19:11

But I find my spriggan games usually going something like "get short blades and stab things, summons when that fails." Short blades stab bonus is really good, and if you get some good slaying bonuses (20-30) they will out-damage most weapons.

I play a lot of SpEn, and this is how I do extended.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 09:12

If you get like 20 or 30 thirty slaying? Yeah sure, that happens in less than 5% of games that go 15 runes. Not at all a viable strategy to plan around.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice