Yred?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 23:01

Yred?

How good is yred? What are you supposed to do with the allies? I stash them on an empty floor, and recall them for tough fights. Sometimes, they kill something on that floor and I get some experience.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 23:16

Re: Yred?

yred is like a version of beogh that's actually good. yred allies aren't as good as fedhas/kiku allies though (nor are his other abilities) and involve more micromanagement so...

stashing/recalling is fine, however, monsters *never* act when they are not on your level. it is literally impossible for that to happen. your allies are not killing things on other floors, they are killing things on your floor.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 01:58

Yred is incredibly powerful early god. Animate dead at 1* is top teir for 1* abilities. Your character can be garbage and if you have a D2 ~D3 yred altar, you have everything you need to clear lair by the end of D4. Luckilly, you can hit ~6* by clearing through lair, and top teir yred minions are ridiculously powerful for a long time.

I haven't played yred since haste was removed. Haste removal is a pretty sever nerf to his endgame. It makes his army less reliable. If you had haste, you could pretty much gaurantee you can get to the lungs of Z5 with your army intact. That feat is achievable without haste, but certainly less reliable and more difficult.

Yred doesn't have much of a purpose once you lose your army in depths or beyond. A Yred to TSO by way of crypt is very natural, but any endgame god works just fine.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 02:51

I have noticed that yred is giving piety for demon/undead kills now. Have I notice wrong, or has this been changed? I did not see that in the trunk notes, but I do not read those that thoroughly. If this is so, then yred might not be completely useless in extended anymore. I know people say that even profane servitors/bone dragons are outclassed there, but both of them are roughly as strong as tso's angel/daeva summons, which are considered good by the community, as yred summons have much better defenses, but worse offence (no hw brand).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 02:56

yred would be strong even without permanent ally gifts. invo animate dead is great, drain life makes all living enemies(and all crowds of living enemies) chumps, pain mirror means you can beat anything by spending piety. just train some invo and go to town.

I don't know in what situation you would lose your army in depths and beyond, I think I've always kept at least a few allies in zot. bone dragons/servitors are real strong, and for 3 rune I would never switch off the god. maybe with piety on demon kills now I'd never switch off

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 10:10

I enslaved Mnoleg's soul soon after demon enslavement became possible, I was so excited and then it died to some chum random Panlord in 4 turns or so. Made me so sad.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice