Help me win Xom

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 23:08

Help me win Xom

After my two TrFi deaths I decided to play something else to relax but I actually ended up making quite far with my DrCK but as soon as i hit depths the games difficulty spiked and I'm having to use my melee alot instead of spells since the devs won't remove food (please remove food, pls). I would be nice If I can have some advice on this game so I can win and check these two off my greater player.

http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Cy ... herZel.txt
(morgue was too big to put in a post)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 23:33

Re: Help me win Xom

Use the best Long Blade available. The quickblade isn't going to do enough damage.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 23:50

Which 3rd rune is best suited for my character?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 00:58

Slime. Just spam bolt of fire in corridor.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 01:53

What in the four hells?! What drug are you on? Even with rCorr, standing in a corridor in Slime is mucho malo!
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 11:42

Help me win Xom

I have never done slime before, is it actually a good idea or no?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 12:03

I think it would be the easiest for this kind of character.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 13:30

jwoodward48ss wrote:What in the four hells?! What drug are you on? Even with rCorr, standing in a corridor in Slime is mucho malo!

Have you never been on last level of slime? There are non-slime walls in the middle of it.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 22:29

Xom killed me on zot 3/4 ;_; can't post the dump because the dump on my records is actually of when I was alive and not the final dump. This is the 5th late game death in a row and I haven't won in like a month. It's the farthest I have even made it with someone who uses spells and I have to say that using spells is the most frustrating way to play the game, mainly due to the fact that I had very little food for all of late game

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 22:49

Play TrCK probably. No food issue, no lost armour slots, frail is not a big deal, polymorph into ice beast is not that bad etc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 23:18

to win with CK you should play the same as you would with an atheist character, except keep in mind that you can randomly get polymorphed, swapped, or confused (these are the only xom acts that should affect your tactics or strategy)

oh also put a force_more on the god channel in your rc like this:
  Code:
: if you.god() == "Xom" then
force_more_message += god:
: end
and get used to checking ?: so you don't die to stair repulsion

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd October 2016, 23:22

Also retreat to rest to previous floors, wield -Tele ring/amulet/weapon if you are lucky to have one, retreat earlier (being low on HP is very bad because of potential teleport), don't berserk unless you have no choice, consider branching into axes etc.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 00:19

How to win xom in a nutshell:
1. Go Ely for no wrath on abandonment
2. find the nearest xom altar to D:1
3. convert to xom on the orbrun

if you actualy want to win with xom in a non degenerate way, Just play very very safe.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 10:06

WingedEspeon wrote:How to win xom in a nutshell:
1. Go Ely for no wrath on abandonment
2. find the nearest xom altar to D:1
3. convert to xom on the orbrun

if you actualy want to win with xom in a non degenerate way, Just play very very safe.

That's not winning CK which is what I want. And to be fair I played the best I have ever played that game (took 13 hours) but xom just decided to fuck me sadly

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 12:08

When I won NaCK I played it like a regular melee char. Just picked the biggest weapon and the heaviest armour there was and tabbed my way. It was no big deal.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 12:59

I think the optimal strategy with CK is to abandon Xom (usually for Trog or Okawaru) after you reach XL 9 (probably just after clearing the space around Lair:1 upstairs is the most reasonable point).

The most dangerous thing that Xom can do is banishment, and that can't happen when Xom is not bored before XL 9 if you don't abandon him, so you don't want to abandon him before that. After XL 9 the worst case of what Xom can do is basically the same regardless of whether you worship him or not, so abandoning should be optimal.

Of course if you don't care about winrate/streaking, abandoning as soon as you find the altar of the god to convert to is easier.

For this message the author celtis has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 20:56

I've won a couple times with Xom and I am a terrible player.

I definitely see him as stronger than Atheist - although I suspect I'm in the minority. He helps far more than he hurts you, and will flat-out save your ass at least a couple times a game. Spellcaster of Xom strikes me as being really difficult, though - You can be really vulnerable in two ways (low AC and low MP) and you have less of a damage buffer in terrible situations due to bad AC. (Although at least by the rune levels Xom will have gifted you some scales, almost garuanteed.)

My first Xom win that wasn't a troll here.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21548

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 22:34

Reptisaurus wrote:He helps far more than he hurts you, and will flat-out save your ass at least a couple times a game.
This only happens because you put your ass in situations that it needs saving from in the first place.
Reptisaurus wrote:(Although at least by the rune levels Xom will have gifted you some scales, almost garuanteed.)
this is not remotely close to true

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 22:52

I didn't phase that exactly right - But on my laptop, looking through the high scores, I've had 11 chaos knight make it to level 16 or higher. (Only one win :( ) Of those, 10 had some mutation that gave them a bonus to armor - granted, not always scales. I forgot there were non-scale AC bonus mutations.

I can't check my other computer, (which has fewer games on it but a higher % of chaos knights) but in my experience this is more-or-less true for them as well. There are just SO MANY mutations that add a bonus to armor, you're probably getting one of 'em to stick.

My high score table starts at l:15, but none of my 3 L:15 CK had any armor bonuses at all.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 00:08

It was more of the draconian plus xom plus no food haha. I've played TrCK a few times and it's pretty much a dumb troll

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 03:40

Reptisaurus wrote:I didn't phase that exactly right - But on my laptop, looking through the high scores, I've had 11 chaos knight make it to level 16 or higher. (Only one win :( ) Of those, 10 had some mutation that gave them a bonus to armor - granted, not always scales. I forgot there were non-scale AC bonus mutations.

I can't check my other computer, (which has fewer games on it but a higher % of chaos knights) but in my experience this is more-or-less true for them as well. There are just SO MANY mutations that add a bonus to armor, you're probably getting one of 'em to stick.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the "dragon scales" items, not the scales mutations, lol

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 06:16

Actually wery fun game and my only CK win was a Slime troll. Started out as CK, converted to Jiyva in Lair. I had some nice Xom gifts at that point and Jiyva is really nice with a troll.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice