FEBE .19 possible? Sanity check

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 18:17

FEBE .19 possible? Sanity check

Has anyone won with FEBE on .19? I am now 22 games in and have been unable to win with this combination. When I get past orc I feel that my character gets over his head the farther I go. I think this is due in part to the reduced experience of orc and lair being shorter.

While I am asking what is the easiest combination for Felid?

Thanks in advance.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 18:24

Re: FEBE .19 possible? Sanity check

I can't give you too much help with the FeBe, but I can definitely say you failed the sanity check by playing one.

I think with FE the easiest combos are those that can kite and take advantage of the felid's speed. So I'm thinking some kind of mage type background is probably best. I'd say IE is always a fairly solid bet, and comes with the chance for some AC (I think ozo's armor is still in the game). FeFE is probably solid enough, you can abuse conjure flame through lair and hopefully by then you'll find more spellbooks.

FeSU might be good too, although it sounds mind numbingly boring to play.

Maybe Sandman will come and give you some advice, he seems to be quite experienced with felids.

The one and only felid I ever won was a FeTM, but I splatted like... a million of them before I won, and when I finally did win, it was during the time the double damage bug was in effect...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 18:42

FeBe is hard late game. FeTm, FeCj are good IMHO. Not sure about FeSu in 0.19 because of Sif Muna changes. FeSk is good except a bit hard on D1 (Shroud giving +10 HP on average is very nice for Felid).

0.19 FeAE with OP god (Hepl didn't give frail 1 then). http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 005106.txt
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 20:48

Thanks, I am going to try and mix things up, FeSk sounds like fun since I haven't done a sk yet.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 21:02

sage1234 wrote:FeSk sounds like fun

Imo it's no fun at all not to be able to cast the best spell in the Sk starting book...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 21:05

My second win was a FeBe! I have a soft spot for felids. I probably used an invis ring or wand, something that is much more rare now.

FeBe is a strong combo, because you can kill almost any (single) thing manfighting with berserk.

IMO, the real interesting thing about felids is that sometime around vaults/depths, you're character may start using more resources (consumables, piety) than it gains in strength over the course of the floor. Also, more XP isn't incredibly valuable. Think if you have enough juice to take zot 5, snag the abyssal rune, and dive.

I've won multiple Felid games < XL 24. On Comborobin, Felid is the race with the lowest average XL on a win.

Remember, you don't have to kill everything.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 21:47

I believe FeBe is the best Fe early game and the worst Fe late game. It is easy to get Felid below XL 24 since you lose an XL with every death and it is hard not to die in Zot and during ascension ;)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 22:45

berserk every single fight and kite a lot
remove food

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 06:46

I just won a FEBE in 0.19 so it is doable. You need to pump dodging and rely on the remaining good evocables (box of beasts/sack of spiders/wands of acid/disintegration). I spent the entire game luring enemies one by one to stairs and berserking on them, or summoning BIA if I was ganged by more then 2 enemies. I was lucky to get an amulet of Guardian Spirit that carried me the entire game.

Spoiler: show
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-1720-gc855d72 (webtiles) character file.

1271217 darkflagrance the Intangible (level 24, 129/129 HPs)
Began as a Felid Berserker on Sept 28, 2016.
Was a High Priest of Trog.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Oct 1, 2016!

The game lasted 11:53:05 (115208 turns).

darkflagrance the Intangible (Felid Berserker) Turns: 115208, Time: 11:53:06

Health: 129/129 AC: 4 Str: 14 XL: 24 Next: 17%
Magic: 37/37 EV: 43 Int: 12 God: Trog [*****.]
Gold: 4233 SH: 0 Dex: 24 Spells: 0 memorised, 23 levels left
Lives: 0 Deaths: 7

rFire + + . SeeInvis + - Unarmed
rCold . . . Gourm . (armour unavailable)
rNeg . . . Faith . (shield unavailable)
rPois . Spirit + (helmet unavailable)
rElec . Dismiss . (cloak unavailable)
rCorr . Reflect . (gloves unavailable)
MR ++++. Harm . (boots unavailable)
Stlth ++++...... q - amulet of guardian spirit
H - ring "Pyoheddoh" {Fire MR+ Int+4}
S - ring of protection from fire

@: quick
A: no armour, no weapons or thrown items, claws 1, fangs 3, see invisible,
carnivore 3, dopey 1, speed 1, shaggy fur 3, slow metabolism 1, no device heal
1, sharp paws
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, abyssal, gossamer

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 09:44

Its easy, if you switch to makhleb and get castable statue/dragon form around depths.

To survive trog wrath a combination of invis, stealth, blink / teleport is recommended
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 12:51

relying on evocations is not required

Code:
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     2 |     7 |     4 |    17 |     4 |     5 |    32 ||    71
       Deck              |       |       |       |       |     1 |     7 |       |       |       ||     8
       Fan of gales      |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Sack of spiders   |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       |       ||     2
       Stone of tremors  |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       Lamp of fire      |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
sage1234

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 18:48

VeryAngryFelid wrote:relying on evocations is not required

Code:
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     2 |     7 |     4 |    17 |     4 |     5 |    32 ||    71
       Deck              |       |       |       |       |     1 |     7 |       |       |       ||     8
       Fan of gales      |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Sack of spiders   |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |       |       ||     2
       Stone of tremors  |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       Lamp of fire      |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1

Code:
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 |     5 |    18 ||    26
       Deck              |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
       Sack of spiders   |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 ||     1

+1!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 19:31

I would say FeCj is the easiest Fe.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 21:07

Is there a reason why this is .19? I mean the branches are a bit shorter now but FeBe is one of the lowest-experience requiring builds you can have, and losing two floors of lair/orc isn't really a huge deal.

FeMo - With trog, basically FeBe: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 055250.txt (version .13)

Alternative idea: transmuters (and Chei because Chei loves you)
FeNe - I really like regeneration and pain is handy for kiting on d:1-3: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tason ... 052647.txt Version .18
FeTm - statue kitty is good kitty (necromancer above also used statue form): http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 155739.txt Version .15 (I could jump!)

God I miss jump attack. Bring back jump! In any case, Ne and Tm are both good felid backgrounds if you aren't afraid to do some melee.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice