DCSS TrunkWatch™: No More Haste Spell

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 17:03

Re: DCSS TrunkWatch™: No More Haste Spell

goodcoolguy wrote:As for record sniping, as I say over and over and over, people, myself very much included, do not play a super optimal game most of the time. Like... getting killed by a player ghost and you guys are acting like that's something that would actually happen to someone who is trying... lol

First you claim that Foo does not matter because real people have 100% win rate anyway, now you tell that nobody has 100% win rate because nobody plays in a way that can give 100% win rate. Ok, you win, you are more troll than I am ;)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 17:11

Oh my God... exhausting. I have always said that strong players don't always maintain 100% winrates because it is not fun to play the game in such a way that you win 100% of the time, even though as a matter of fact some people do achieve 100% winrates. I honestly don't believe someone could fail understand my position on this.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 17:18

goodcoolguy wrote:Oh my God... exhausting. I have always said that strong players don't always maintain 100% winrates because it is not fun to play the game in such a way that you win 100% of the time, even though as a matter of fact some people do achieve 100% winrates. I honestly don't believe someone could fail understand my position on this.

Then can you please stop suggesting that game after one hour does not matter? Good players have close to 100% "win rate" during first hour too, especially if we are talking about MiBe.

Spoiler: show
At some point I was dying more often in Lair and later than before Lair but then I got lazy to spend more than an hour to reach Lair.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 17:21

Okay, you're going back to the block list.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, VeryAngryFelid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 17:31

goodcoolguy wrote:Oh my God... exhausting. I have always said that strong players don't always maintain 100% winrates because it is not fun to play the game in such a way that you win 100% of the time, even though as a matter of fact some people do achieve 100% winrates. I honestly don't believe someone could fail understand my position on this.

Yeah sure... This still doesn't explain why haste spell is meaningless though.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 20:51

BabyRage wrote:

Yeah sure... This still doesn't explain why haste spell is meaningless though.

Two reasons:

1. Except under certain conditions, if you start training for haste relatively early in the game, you are probably going to put your character into more potentially dangerous situations by going off your normal XP curve than you would have just putting it into fighting or evocations or whatever, or stopped at enough Charms skill for spectral weapon.
2. With potions and especially the wand, you can easily get ~30 uses of haste a game. When counting Crawl consumables 30 is basically equal to infinity. Even 7-8 is plenty. There are definitely enough hastes in the game for a sanely-built character to use in situations of consequence without ever needing to learn the spell.

Basically what you are doing is putting yourself in weaker position in the midgame in exchange for a tiny amount of utility in contrived lategame situations.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
goodcoolguy, WingedEspeon

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 21:48

I also think so. Spell haste is basically a convenience for me. You've generally hit your win condition before you can get haste up.

If we're being serious, wand haste is much more problematic than spell haste.

(I personally don't think haste is actually problematic, this is a single player game, you can win without spell haste easily, and spell haste is not optimal to get every game, no where close at least in a 3-5 rune)

I don't care either way though, I just think it's a little funny spell haste is being removed before wand haste.

If anyone really wants to use haste they can play an older version and be fine.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 23:17

So... where can I find the guaranteed wand of hasting?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th October 2016, 00:08

The same place you found your guaranteed book of enchantments

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
dowan

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th October 2016, 00:35

But I haven't claimed that wand haste is meaningless because spell haste exists.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice