NaEn of Che

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 23:38

NaEn of Che

I've taken quite a long break from the game, and most of my recent characters have been demonspawns of xom. I've forgotten a lot and since this build is so far out of my norm, and seems to be doing ok i thought i'd ask a few questions.

I currently have-
lvl 5 Dugeon 5
equip-
The starting +1 dagger
+1 Buckler/leather armor/gloves/cloak
amulet of faith

Skills-
2 in fighting (on)
2 in short blades(off)
2 in dodging (off)
6 in stealth (on)
4 in stab(on)
2 in spellcasting(on)
5 in hexes(on)
3 in ice(on)

My questions:
I can't remember exactly how stabbing works. I know ideally a runed saber or quick blade is my best bet, but until then I don't know if I want to check every short blade that crosses my path or if it's just better to stick to daggers.
I've NEVER had a good run with che. I know making things ponderous is great stat bonuses later, but I'm wary to do it now because i don't have anything great, and being even slower as a naga seems very very risky. Any advice at all for che would be helpful.
Skill wise i'm a little lost as well. I'm sure i'll want some short blades at some point for when i can't confuse/EH them to death, and i know stabbing falls off as well as stealth. Any help here would be nice as well.
Spells:
Found a book of transmutation. I figure at the very least evap is good, but is spider form still a good escape spell for a che user?
Is enslavement worth it? I can see the upside of enslaving something strong to help me, but i can't recall if it's actually reliable vs something worth enslaving.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 00:54

Re: NaEn of Che

I don't have much experience with Che or Enchantments, but I can tell you that stabbing happens when you attack a "helpless" opponent - ie when they're confused, paralyzed, asleep, can't see you, or the like. The higher your stabbing skill, the more bonus damage you get. The opponent's state matters, too - I'm pretty sure you get a larger bonus for a sleeping opponent than for one who simply hasn't seen you yet. Stabbing doesn't happen every time you attack a helpless opponent, but the chance rises as your stabbing skill does. You get a further bonus to stabbing if you use any long blade, a larger bonus for any short blade, and the largest bonus of all for daggers.

I could be wrong, of course, but I'm pretty sure that's how stabbing works.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 02:01

Daggers for stabbing as they get mad bonuses but if you are just going toe to toe with a monster switch to a saber or quickblade.

Turn off ice unless you are planning to branch into ice magic - I wouldn't.

I'd keep short blades on till you reach around 8 depending on what version you are playing in (turn off earlier in version 0.8) - this is to reach your max weapon speed which is dependent on your weapon.

Spider form is no longer an escape option (this might also depend on version), evap is great for stabbers.

I wouldn't think enslavement is worth it but then again I've never given it a chance.

In my opinion you should be ramping to invisibility.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 13:32

Waywinkle wrote:I wouldn't think enslavement is worth it but then again I've never given it a chance.

Enslavement has its uses, particularly with monster packs and corridors. Enslave the closest one and you've got an instant meat shield, and unlike hibernating or confusing it, it's going to actively hold the rest of the pack off of you. (A good answer for the "what to do with the first killer bee" question in another thread.)

It's the iwin button against Pikel.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 21:45

Hmmm.. I think next time I play a Enchanter I will learn enslavement just to test it out. I think it being a level 5 spell is what was putting me off.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 00:53

Enslave was decent for getting me extra bodies and diluting the fights, but in the end my lack of invocations lead to my downfall when a pack of death yaks surrounded me in the lair and i failed on step out of time. Wound up picking up poison magic and making a go for poison cloud, but didn't really work out in the end.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 01:26

Haha I questioned myself as I was posting but was too lazy to check..

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 21st July 2011, 12:22

Enslavement is ridiculously fun, but it loses its use quite soon so getting invo up is more useful I would say. I'd get your dodging up and turn ice off and concentrate on getting your attacking skills up. I found that's where I usually fall down with a enchanter as the early game is easy just to stealth/stab stuff, but as soon as enchantments start being a problem due to MR my fighting skills are always to low to compensate.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice