First time Godshift

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 00:23

First time Godshift

I am presently playing a EL 27 Fo:Fi:Ok. I have three runes, I'm a cuisinart that walks like an ant, and I could probably run in and grab the Orb, and maybe make it out alive.

Possibly because I'm a masocist, I'm tempted to do a bit of hell and abyss diving, for...fun? Maybe. My resistance spread is fairly good, I think I have all my end game gear (+9 Triple Sword with Holy brand, and three scrolls of brand weapon), with the only major issue being a lack of mutation resistance. And for that, I'm thinking either Zin or (more likely, because it seems more fun) Jiyvia. But I am walking into entirely unknown territory here, so I was hoping my more august and wise forum dwellers might have advice for this very bad idea

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 01:05

Re: First time Godshift

The actual good advice is probably to not switch gods and just do extended with Oka, if you're going to do extended. You don't need mutation resistance.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 01:09

Zin is great, Jiyva is not (unless you like losing armour slots).

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 04:08

Stuck with Oka, tried to do Tomb, ran into like ten elder mummies in a clump. Managed to escape through very lucky shafting, and then just completed my run before it all went pear shaped.

Success?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 04:13

Fo does not care about teleportitis or berserkitis so rMut is not that great for it.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 04:26

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Fo does not care about teleportitis or berserkitis so rMut is not that great for it.

In my last few runs, I've generally been more worried about stat malmut and things like rot on damage, especially since Cure mutation potions were all but absent. Why are Those the only two mutations you think of?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 05:45

Stat malamute 1 is almost meaningless, you usually cure it with XP very fast and you need some extreme misfortune to get level 2 and even then it is not going to kill you instantly so you can just stop picking runes and go win. Also it is a good idea to have decent stats (at least 10 each).
Those two mutations are among the 3 worst mutations (frail is 3rd) because these 3 mutations actually can kill a character fast.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 11:48

Blurry vision and MP-wands are usually worse than frail.

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 15:09

Yes, blurry vision is very bad when you have scrolls of blinking, I forgot about it. MP-wands is not that bad, at least first level.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 20:12

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Stat malamute 1 is almost meaningless, you usually cure it with XP very fast and you need some extreme misfortune to get level 2 and even then it is not going to kill you instantly so you can just stop picking runes and go win. Also it is a good idea to have decent stats (at least 10 each).
Those two mutations are among the 3 worst mutations (frail is 3rd) because these 3 mutations actually can kill a character fast.

Point of clarification: You said 'cure with XP'. I know that the transitory mutations given by enemies like abyssal stars can be worked off with XP, but I thought bad mutations like Frail 1 could only be dealt with with potions of cure mutation. Is there another way I'm not aware of?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 20:16

Sorry, bad wording on my side. You cannot cure Deteriorating Body mutation (or any other non-temporary mutation) with XP but XP allows you to get back stats drained by the mutation. So normally you lose like 1 Str due to mutation and then get it back because you killed some monsters.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Monday, 26th September 2016, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 26th September 2016, 20:17

Pleroma wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:Stat malamute 1 is almost meaningless, you usually cure it with XP very fast and you need some extreme misfortune to get level 2 and even then it is not going to kill you instantly so you can just stop picking runes and go win. Also it is a good idea to have decent stats (at least 10 each).

Point of clarification: You said 'cure with XP'. I know that the transitory mutations given by enemies like abyssal stars can be worked off with XP, but I thought bad mutations like Frail 1 could only be dealt with with potions of cure mutation. Is there another way I'm not aware of?

You work off the stat loss from deterioration mutation with XP.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 00:48

BabyRage wrote:
Pleroma wrote:

Ah, but you can't, for example, work off Frail 1 with XP, only the 'You occasionally deteriorate when hit' mutation.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 07:37

Pleroma wrote:
BabyRage wrote:
Pleroma wrote: Point of clarification: You said 'cure with XP'. I know that the transitory mutations given by enemies like abyssal stars can be worked off with XP, but I thought bad mutations like Frail 1 could only be dealt with with potions of cure mutation. Is there another way I'm not aware of?

Ah, but you can't, for example, work off Frail 1 with XP, only the 'You occasionally deteriorate when hit' mutation.

No, only the stat loss by deterioration, you will still have the mutation

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 01:10

stickyfingers wrote:Blurry vision and MP-wands are usually worse than frail.

Blurry vision doesn't to too much to Fo.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 01:19

And MP-powered wands doesn't do much to fighters.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 07:41

If you don't have a heal wounds wand.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice