Brands on Floor weapons?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 21:04

Brands on Floor weapons?

Are certain brands more common on certain randomly generated weapons (I mean not frost/fire giant axes/swords, or scroll of branding results)? For example, is speed more common on lajatangs?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2016, 21:12

Re: Brands on Floor weapons?

Speed cannot show up on most weapons-it only shows up on short blades, staves, and rarely artifacts(which break rules about what can be on things).

And also yes, certain brands are more or less common on different weapons. For example, protection is more common on M&F weapons.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 07:48

I think duvessa posted long time ago a full spoilery list of what brand are elegible for each weapon, but I can't find it.
It's very unfortunate, because that list was fucking hilarious for the amount of specific cases and weirdness.

In short every weapon - type, not class - is allowed to spawn with a series of brand. So for example it's possible to find a trident of protection on floor but not a glaive of protection.
Some brand are never allowed on a set of weapons unless being artefact, like the "speed" case.
Some weapon can't spawn on floor, like holy ones.
I think some vaults may override some of those rules.

And then you have to consider the rules for weapon handed by monsters, which add an even more fucking hilarious layer of nonsense.
Pretty much every monster is eligible to spawn with a specific list of weapon and brands.
Most of those rules override and are different to the "floor loot" rules (especially to the % of the type of the brand).
And the list of corner cases is probably incredibly long, like wraith being the only monster able to spawn with a cursed branded weapon, and actually having an high percentage to be so.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 08:05

You probably meant wight, not wraith. And yeah, they often receive decent weapons but are special-cased to curse them post-item-generation.

And regarding brand generation, everything is here.
Speed is actually the most common brand for a lajatang, tied with elec and vamp, though quarterstaff has different brand weightings. Short swords are also different than either quick blades (which spawn with no brand) or daggers. Tridents have the same as two-handed polearms, but spears are completely different. Also a lot more (though I think it has been simplified somewhat in the past year or two).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 08:10

Vaults can definitely override normal floor generation rules (think of the CPA of cold resistance you find in ice caves somewhat often).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2016, 17:01

nago wrote:I think duvessa posted long time ago a full spoilery list of what brand are elegible for each weapon, but I can't find it.
It's here, but it's out of date. The silly monster equipment cases are still a thing, though.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 21:27

duvessa wrote:
nago wrote:I think duvessa posted long time ago a full spoilery list of what brand are elegible for each weapon, but I can't find it.
It's here, but it's out of date. The silly monster equipment cases are still a thing, though.

Wtf is a hammer

For this message the author CypherZel has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 03:50

CypherZel wrote:
duvessa wrote:

Wtf is a hammer

Only crazy people collect them.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice