An embarassment of artifacts

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 05:53

An embarassment of artifacts

Fo:Fi:Ok, Armor 16, str 28
I just cleared The Vaults, and got +9 Armor of the Dragon King (rPois, rF+, rC+, MR+). And that's great, I hear you say. Except, I already have an artifact Crystal Plate +4 (Fly+, rN+, Slay +4). And seeing as I can't layer plate armor (much to my sadness), I have to pick one.

I already have something to provide all the resistances from the DK armor, though I've learned you should never cough at resistances. The Dragon King armor provides an effective +1AC (no changes to EV), but does provide probably more broadly applicable resistances. Oki gave me flying boots if I need to fly, so I'm not really sweating that part. But that +4 slaying bonus is really calling to me.

Does someone wiser than me have some thoughts on this problem? Aside from "All of your problems should be so nice"?

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 06:05

Re: An embarassment of artifacts

I'd go with the slaying, particularly since resistances suffer diminishing returns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 08:20

Although it's always fun to use unrandarts (as you don't see them so often), in this case I would also choose +4 slaying. An important question is though, what is your MR? If that MR+ would make you immune (or nearly) to paralysis/banishment/mark, that would be a point in favour of Dragon King.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 08:45

Sprucery wrote:Although it's always fun to use unrandarts (as you don't see them so often), in this case I would also choose +4 slaying. An important question is though, what is your MR? If that MR+ would make you immune (or nearly) to paralysis/banishment/mark, that would be a point in favour of Dragon King.

Having just completed my very first successful game (both first time to the orb and first time escaping the dungeon), I can say that my MR was high, but very nearly not high enough, as I got banished to the abyss once right as I was trying to get out of the Orb Vault. But, I got out, I survived, and +4 slaying served me well!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th September 2016, 23:54

Collective nouns-
A grove of trees.
A murder of crows.
A pride of lions.
An Embarrassment of Artifacts?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 15th September 2016, 23:59

Heart of the Cards.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 16th September 2016, 21:21

First world problems.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice