Base weapon vs. Enchantment level! Fo:Fi:Ok

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 00:29

Base weapon vs. Enchantment level! Fo:Fi:Ok

So I am not as proficient in crawl-fu as I should be, so I have a mechanics question:

I'm a Formicid Fighter, with 17 in polearms. My main weapon this run has been a +8 vampiric scythe (it dropped early and I had the scrolls to buff it by +4).

I just completed the shoals, and came away with a +1 vampiric Demon Trident, and a +2 Antimagic Demon trident. And I honestly don't know if I should switch. The demon tridents are better base weapons, but the +8 on the scythe is a burly, burly thing.

Can someone educate me on this?

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, I got an excellent combi-necklace that has Gourmand, so weilding and unweilding vampire weapons hasn't been a problem so far.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 04:05

Re: Base weapon vs. Enchantment level! Fo:Fi:Ok

Scythes are complete garbage items that exist solely to give monsters a reaching, branded weapon with okay damage that will be useless to the player. Min delay at 26 skill for a weapon with 14 base damage? No.

If I were you, I would search for glaives and bardiches with brands or good enchantment if you can rebrand one. They're probably already around. The demon tridents are okay, but there's no reason not to go for something with higher base damage when you're a formicid and you already have 19 polearms. The lesson here is not to invest in scythes.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 04:09

goodcoolguy wrote:Scythes are complete garbage items that exist solely to give monsters a reaching, branded weapon with okay damage that will be useless to the player. Min delay at 26 skill for a weapon with 14 base damage? No.

If I were you, I would search for glaives and bardiches with brands or good enchantment if you can rebrand one. They're probably already around. The demon tridents are okay, but there's no reason not to go for something with higher base damage when you're a formicid and you already have 19 polearms. The lesson here is not to invest in scythes.

Lesson learned, although there are no branded or enchanted glaives or bardiches that I've found on my current run. Lots of tridents though.
In the future I'll remember that though.
Edit: Nevermind, Scroll of acquirement just dropped a +2 bardiche of chopping at my feet. Don't love the brand, but it'll serve.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 10:25

Chopping is a good brand for a bardiche. It indeed does only 2/3 of flaming/freezing but nothing resists it, and with 18 base damage, high stats and skills it's no worse than elec or drain, and way better than venom, protection, chaos and holy outside of extended.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 13:13

Keep the antimagic dtrident on-hand to poke dangerous casters in the face. Works on everything that casts spells, whether you can silence it or not. Watching that alich or oof do nothing instead of blasting you in the face is priceless.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 21:15

goodcoolguy wrote:Scythes are complete garbage items that exist solely to give monsters a reaching, branded weapon with okay damage that will be useless to the player. Min delay at 26 skill for a weapon with 14 base damage? No.

You are forgetting that the weapon is already +8 but more importantly is Vampiric.

Personaly I would get polearms to 21 for the Min Delay with heroism and just use the Scyth. If you have enough enchant scrolls it might be worth carrying around a bardiche for vamp immune tough stuff but not a priority.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, Rast

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th September 2016, 23:35

No way vampiric makes up for a garbage base weapon, sorry. Especially when you have an endgame weapon with a good brand.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 07:22

Pleroma wrote:

Lesson learned, although there are no branded or enchanted glaives or bardiches that I've found on my current run. Lots of tridents though.
In the future I'll remember that though.
Edit: Nevermind, Scroll of acquirement just dropped a +2 bardiche of chopping at my feet. Don't love the brand, but it'll serve.

I would take delay into account when using a bardiche, low min delay means enemies hit harder in between attack turns

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 13:25

You just need to be aware of that possibility though, and calculate the possible monster damage accordingly. A delay higher than 1 is hardly a disqualifying factor for a weapon if it's significantly better than your lower-delay weapons. People generally don't switch to slower weapons early enough, I think.

edit: sorry if you meant that, I wasn't sure
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Sunday, 11th September 2016, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 13:27

ydeve wrote:No way vampiric makes up for a garbage base weapon, sorry.

he has a vampiric demon trident

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
ydeve

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 19:12

ydeve wrote:No way vampiric makes up for a garbage base weapon, sorry. Especially when you have an endgame weapon with a good brand.

Using the 1 damage is approximately 2 slaying you could think of a +9 vampiric Scythe as an artefact +7 vampiric glaive that you need 26 skill to use. With Oka I think that is a reasonable weapon.

The demon trident is a better weapon if you have the scrolls to get it to +9 though.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th September 2016, 19:27

WingedEspeon wrote:
ydeve wrote:No way vampiric makes up for a garbage base weapon, sorry. Especially when you have an endgame weapon with a good brand.

Using the 1 damage is approximately 2 slaying you could think of a +9 vampiric Scythe as an artefact +7 vampiric glaive that you need 26 skill to use. With Oka I think that is a reasonable weapon.

The demon trident is a better weapon if you have the scrolls to get it to +9 though.

Also it is a better weapon if your skill is less than 26, and a vastly better weapon if your skill is less than 20 (it is probably better with no additional enchantment if your skill is under 16, that is a guess, i would have to fsim to be sure)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
nago, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th September 2016, 01:23

ITT: people who need to learn to use fsim

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2016, 07:16

duvessa wrote:ITT: people who need to learn to use fsim

Sure, what is fsim?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2016, 12:05

Is there fair on webtiles?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2016, 12:19

Pleroma wrote:

Sure, what is fsim?

learndb wrote:A fight simulator in wizmode, accessible with &f and &F. See {!source fight_simulator.txt} for the fsim help.

In other words, "stop hand-wavy theorycrafting and just do the number crunching in crawl itself to see who is right".

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2016, 21:05

Does fsim simulate the ridiculousness that is vampiric brand?

OP, my advice is to keep training polearms up to 26. Use the scthe on most monsters, switch to the bardiche vs oofs or ancient liches.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 16th September 2016, 21:24

Vampiric weapon vs vampiric weapon ≈ weapon vs weapon. That is, it factors out. Vampiric depends on damage done, so it's not like elec or disto.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 13:20

Psieye wrote:
Pleroma wrote:

Sure, what is fsim?

learndb wrote:A fight simulator in wizmode, accessible with &f and &F. See {!source fight_simulator.txt} for the fsim help.

In other words, "stop hand-wavy theorycrafting and just do the number crunching in crawl itself to see who is right".

ITT: People who start a post with ITT can be safely ignored. See!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice