Boots of running, or +5 Slay boots?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 18:58

Boots of running, or +5 Slay boots?

Will update later with char dump, but I am running a DsFi of Hep, XL 24, with Battlemage ally. He has Boots of Running as well as a randart boots of Slay+5, which when coupled with a nice +5 slaying ring I have, is some very nice killdudes indeed. He's also got the Damnation arbalest and what is essentially a randart mimic of the Arga broad axe (+8, speed brand, MR+). Also has Swiftness spell castable in plate mail. Axe is at min delay and Crossbows around 13-14 skill level.

What say you, which boots do you like better? Both Lair runes have been nabbed, Vaults cleared thru 4, Elf 1 cleared, Depths fully cleared.
Last edited by dolemite99 on Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 19:03

Re: Boots of running, or +5 Slay boots?

I would use slaying for the rest of the game except Tomb and orb run when running is better.
Boots of slaying are nice when you need to run away which is not very useful in areas full of monsters (Vaults 5) or with nasty ranged attacks (all extended).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
dolemite99

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 20:02

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I would use slaying for the rest of the game except Tomb and orb run when running is better.
Boots of slaying are nice when you need to run away which is not very useful in areas full of monsters (Vaults 5) or with nasty ranged attacks (all extended).

Thanks, this is was my gut feeling too. Barring cases where I need to situationally swap my +5 slaying ring for a specific resistance, I love the prospect of +10 Slaying on a dude that has a broad axe swinging at 0.4 speed.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 21:17

No Running means harder time running away. But with that much slay you're unlikely to need to from things that aren't hell/pan lords. So I'd say depends on consumables...and Haste (Spell)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 21:41

slay boots, definitely

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 21:42

Of course slay.

For this message the author BabyRage has received thanks:
dolemite99

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 22:25

bcadren wrote:No Running means harder time running away. But with that much slay you're unlikely to need to from things that aren't hell/pan lords. So I'd say depends on consumables...and Haste (Spell)

Thanks, I have pretty much resolved to never enter Zot:5's fixed layout areas again without the haste spell castable or plenty of haste pots/wand charges. Too many bad experiences to do it at regular speed!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice