Stealth skill and Dith

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 13:10

Stealth skill and Dith

Hey all,

I was playing an SpEn^Dith and hit max stealth in the % overview very quickly, at 14 stealth skill.
Am I right assuming that there is no point training stealth any further (except some stabbing bonus, that I didnt need)?

I somehow had the feeling that I was a lot less stealthy than with other SpEn with higher stealth skill. I.e., groups of monsters would almost always wake up when I approached them without shadow step.
On Depth:1 half the level was hunting me after very short time, which also got me killed :(

So, if stealth shows ++++++++++ is that really always the best possible stealth with Dith?

Thanks!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 13:24

Re: Stealth skill and Dith

There's no upper limit for Stealth, even though the display has a limited number of +s.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
mibert

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 13:53

Sprucery wrote:There's no upper limit for Stealth, even though the display has a limited number of +s.

Thanks! that's good to know. So I guess that means for a stealthy stabber you just max the skill no matter what, right? Or is there some upper bound in the perception of monsters?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 14:07

Every next skill level reduces the chance the monsters will spot you and increases the chance they will forget about when out of sight. Every next skill level is also more expensive than the previous one. Just train as much as you can afford and it seems worth it. I rarely advance it into the 20s.

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
mibert

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 05:59

Stealth(skill) increases your stab damage and success(I believe I am right about stab chance?).
Last edited by ololoev on Thursday, 8th September 2016, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 06:44

Stealth definitely increases stab damage. I couldn't find anything about its effect on stab chance in LearnDB. The wiki says this, which was probably accurate when it was last updated for version 0.17:

Code:
Guaranteed to be stabs:
     Paralysis
     Sleep

((Dexterity + (Stealth + Weapon skill)/2)/0.9)% chance:
     Blind (or if the player is invisible and unseen)

(Dexterity + (Stealth + Weapon skill)/2)% chance:
     Confusion
     Charmed or otherwise friendly
     Held in a throwing net or web
     Petrifying or petrified
     Fleeing
     Awake, but hasn't noticed you yet
     Distracted by damage from a non-player source

You cannot make stab attacks while confused, at zero dexterity, or if your target is invisible.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 21:34

But I thought it was stealth -skill- that affected stabbing damage!
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 22:14

Correct, it's the skill which increases the damage. I believe replies are just omitting the "skill" part for brevity.

This makes me wonder if anyone here has ever asked "Should I wear a ring of stealth?"

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 07:41

TwoLeggedMammal wrote:This makes me wonder if anyone here has ever asked "Should I wear a ring of stealth?"

I wear it whenever I have no better general purpose ring, such as +stat, protection, etc. Only situationally I swap it to resistances, unless it's an area with that resistance being crucial (rCorr in Slime, MR in some places, rF+ in Zot, etc.).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice