Dithmenos?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 01:59

Dithmenos?

How does the shadow work? Does it take up a tile? The wiki says it mimics targeted spells, so the lvl 9 spells won't be mimicked?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 02:06

Re: Dithmenos?

It does not take up a tile, it's not a real monster or anything. It just mimicks your targeted spells(and other attacks) every now and then with a shadow version, which is nonelemental and shoots out of your tile. If your spell is piercing it will also be piercing, if it's a hex it'll have less power IIRC, the amount of damage it does is based on a damage spell it mimicks but if the damage spell is weak enough(ex:magic dart) the shadow mimick can be stronger than it because it has a minimum amount of damage which seems to me to be similar to battlesphere. Coincidentally, I love combining Dith and battlesphere. AFAIK it does not mimick any level 9 spells.

Be careful about shooting through allies, like shooting through zombies with bolt of draining or lightning spire with zap/lightning bolt. Normally it will be fine but if the shadow mimicks your spell, it will of course be elementless, which means it will damage your ally and anger them without warning. (I hope this is fixed soon.)

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Leszczynek

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 02:10

Ok first why is this in the YAVP/YASD/CIP section. Also the shadow is something hat happens automatically. On X percent of spells, you get another cast with less power/different damage type. And glaciate still works.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 03:31

From learndb:

shadow mimic
Dithmenos' **** power (passive). Your shadow mimicks your attacks with a frequency depending on piety, 10% chance at **** and 50% at 200 piety. Melee and ranged weapons use an unbranded +0 weapon of your wielded type, and conjurations use "shadow shard" or "shadow bolt", dealing nonelemental damage regardless of your conjuration. Hexes make a second hex attempt.

The mimic does not [exactly] duplicate [all of] your attacks. For spells it will use either a "shadow shard" or a "shadow bolt" depending on the kind of spell you used. Think of it more as an additional free hit rather than "attack duplication." (It is still a strong passive boost as free extra damage is always welcome.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 17:52

Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 19:16

I love Dith with throwing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 22:49

Dispel Undead is also mimicked, which is wonderful.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice