Blaster Casters and Ereshkigal?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 21:34

Blaster Casters and Ereshkigal?

How do you kill ereshkigal as a blaster caster? She isn't like mennas, who you can just beat to death. Do you just have to nuke her, and hope she does not heal/silence before you do?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 21:52

Re: Blaster Casters and Ereshkigal?

Use haste and Firestorm from out of LoS.
remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 2nd September 2016, 21:54

The best way to deal with Eresh is the same for any character: Don't fight. Buff up, apport the rune, tele out.

If you insist on killing with damage spells only (a serious handicap), then you need some serious damage and probably multiple attempts. You can kite with Haste and OoD, otherwise it's probably lvl:9 spells. I wouldn't recommend other single target spells. She has a lot of EV and if you start the fight with two misses on your crystal spear then it's probably a disaster.

Otherwise, proper defences and high damage weapon (holy, maybe fire) or antimagic.

Alternatively summons. Especially hasted angels tend to do a good job.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
amalloy, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 00:27

If you have Crystal Spear as a blaster in extended, you likely also have Shatter. Shatterninja is a great way to deal with Ereshikghsel.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 01:02

The one time I got 15 runes with a blaster, I shatterninjaed the rune. I want to know how to kill.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 18:02

With a caster I don't know how to kill her. But with a melee character, I use th Sining one's halo, and a holy wrath weapon. Having rN +++ saved my back too.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 21:15

If you feel like you absolutely must kill Eresh, remember that you are in extended, with infinite xp. You can always train into a melee build.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks:
goodcoolguy

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 22:48

For the record Eresh wasn't even an issue with a melee of TSO. Angel buddies plus holy wrath eveningstar, with rN+++ meant she went down in a pretty big hurry. Helps, of course, to have Haste. Always haste.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

For this message the author Queen Cassie has received thanks:
Dolgar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2016, 23:58

Box of beasts spams and elemental evoker summons did her in for me.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 00:10

Queen Cassie wrote:For the record Eresh wasn't even an issue with a melee of TSO. Angel buddies plus holy wrath eveningstar, with rN+++ meant she went down in a pretty big hurry. Helps, of course, to have Haste. Always haste.

Yep. I forgot haste in my message. Never forget haste, even for casters.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 02:08

Dolgar wrote:With a caster I don't know how to kill her. But with a melee character, I use th Sining one's halo, and a holy wrath weapon. Having rN +++ saved my back too.
ydeve wrote:If you feel like you absolutely must kill Eresh, remember that you are in extended, with infinite xp. You can always train into a melee build.
Queen Cassie wrote:For the record Eresh wasn't even an issue with a melee of TSO. Angel buddies plus holy wrath eveningstar, with rN+++ meant she went down in a pretty big hurry. Helps, of course, to have Haste. Always haste.
anyway, OP, here's some answers to a completely different question than the one you asked

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 4
cerebovssquire, duvessa, nago, Queen Cassie

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 02:28

Haste and try to kill it. If it casts Silence, retreat and try again. It works with all other pan/hell lords too as long as you retreat early.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 20:34

Wand of teleportation if silenced and in any trouble at all.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 21:32

Necromutation and deflect missiles means you mostly have to worry about dispel undead from summons. For offence, tornado should work fine, just be ready to teleport. Spells which can miss are not a good idea.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 4th September 2016, 23:36

If you insist on killing Ereshkigal. Consider bringing the following things (from most to least powerful [all my suggestions short of god changes]): LRD/Shatter (yes you can use it to steal the rune, but if your goal is to kill her it also (1) means you don't have to fight through that entire godforsaken maze and (2) have better control over positioning during the fight), Enchanted blowgun with Confusion/Paralysis needle with 15+ Throwing (disables her completely) [With PProj if Available], Aura of Abjuration (Prevents her summoning), Staff of Dispater (kills her really fast at 18+ Evo and works while silenced, but requires killing Dispater first), Haste, Deflect Missiles, Wand of Enslavement (controls the Doom Hounds), Statue Form (Partial Torm resistance without Dispel Vuln. Often better than necromut in a place full of Dispel like Tartars), Staff of Fire (she has no fire resistance so it works better than normal melee, especially for casters that already have the fire skill), Another melee source (UC + Blades or Dragon both work). Conjurations remains risky due to the silence, but things that work full LoS (Shatter, Fire Storm) can work outside of her silence.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 00:27

Shard1697 wrote:
anyway, OP, here's some answers to a completely different question than the one you asked

To be fair: TSO is a pretty good god for blasters in extended; "haste some angels and let them deal with the problem" is a pretty good answer for players who use conjurations for lots of other things.

If the question is actually "how do I use only conjurations to kill a demon who spams silence and torment and summon greater demon and has like a million EV" then, well, think about the problem. I'm assuming you're not looking to play optimally, because you're trying to do a hard thing you don't need to do, so totally learn one or two L9 spells. It's nice to be able to do damage that she can't dodge (so the level 9 spells) and being able to damage her from outside the radius of silence is good, as is crowd control for fiends (so Shatter is not super great). Tornado is good if you can also stay out of silence and do more things to hurt her (say, firestorm?) while you're tornadoing. Enhancer staves and/or brilliance can help too.

Be prepared to teleport away and reset the fight and eventually you'll be lucky and win, or unlucky and die.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 06:32

Dolgar wrote:With a caster I don't know how to kill her. But with a melee character, I use th Sining one's halo, and a holy wrath weapon. Having rN +++ saved my back too.

With a caster you just haste, turn tornado on and firestorm her to death. /tele if she cast silence and try again.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 07:12

If you're the kind of caster who has lots of Evocations for channeling, hit her with box of beasts and sack of spiders summons.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 14:54

Aggressively reset the fight until you get lucky.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 15:33

Sar wrote:If you're the kind of caster who has lots of Evocations for channeling, hit her with box of beasts and sack of spiders summons.

This might have worked, the character in question had 24 evo skill. But wouldn't ereshkigal's torment burn through them quickly?

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 17:58

arandomperson12 wrote:
Sar wrote:If you're the kind of caster who has lots of Evocations for channeling, hit her with box of beasts and sack of spiders summons.

This might have worked, the character in question had 24 evo skill. But wouldn't ereshkigal's torment burn through them quickly?
With 24 Evo, just fucking kill Dispater and take the damnation staff. at 24 evo it's 3d41 Damnation, which ignores AC and EV and is fireball targeted...3d41! Kill Ereshkigal in 3-8 turns (average of 5) save having really bad rolls.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 19:16

bcadren wrote:
arandomperson12 wrote:

With 24 Evo, just fucking kill Dispater and take the damnation staff. at 24 evo it's 3d41 Damnation, which ignores AC and EV and is fireball targeted...3d41! Kill Ereshkigal in 3-8 turns (average of 5) save having really bad rolls.

Note that the staff takes as many as 23 HP each time you use it (or as low as 3), so it might be kind of dicey for low-HP species, and even on higher-HP species you might want to escape and try again after resting if any of the first few evocations weaken you too much.

But yes the basic point is correct, there is more than one way to skin an Ereshkigal.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 23:40

and into wrote:Note that the staff takes as many as 23 HP each time you use it (or as low as 3), so it might be kind of dicey for low-HP species, and even on higher-HP species you might want to escape and try again after resting if any of the first few evocations weaken you too much.

But yes the basic point is correct, there is more than one way to skin an Ereshkigal.
The HP Cost tends to roll low generally. On !Felid I recommend getting it before Pan as it's a decent way to one hit Tormentors and two hit Angels and Daevae...(It's one of the best way to deal with Holy Pan in particular). My online VS win used the hell out of it in extended...VSMo^Xom...

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 03:06

Felids cannot use the staff of Dispater (or Asmodeus), unless that was changed really recently. (They can use the horn of Geryon, though, so maybe that's what you were thinking about.)

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 03:12

and into wrote:Felids cannot use the staff of Dispater (or Asmodeus), unless that was changed really recently. (They can use the horn of Geryon, though, so maybe that's what you were thinking about.)
! is the logical (NOT) in programming so !Felid is Not Felid; so the set containing all races except felid.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 03:14

bcadren wrote:
and into wrote:Felids cannot use the staff of Dispater (or Asmodeus), unless that was changed really recently. (They can use the horn of Geryon, though, so maybe that's what you were thinking about.)
! is the logical (NOT) in programming so !Felid is Not Felid; so the set containing all races except felid.

Oh, my bad. Makes sense now :oops:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice