*Corrode, *Confuse, etc

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 17:03

*Corrode, *Confuse, etc

I'm wondering how many people use randarts with the * maluses. So far, unless I have a way to reliably resist or ignore them, I pretty much never use many of them.

Effect - my understanding of it - my reasoning
Probably getting the abbreviations wrong here:

*confus - chance to get confused on taking damage - never use unless I have clarity, the last thing I want when I'm already getting hurt is to spend another turn quaffing healing
*corros - chance to get corroded on taking damage - ugh, it sounds like having a fucking entropy weaver glued to your back, I've never even tried to wear a randart with this
*tele - chance to randomly teleport to nearby enemy - fine on Fo, might wear it on a big enough tanky character, but even then it's like rolling the dice every time you try to escape (again hurts you most at the worst times like *confus)
*drain - drains when you take it off - almost never a concern, except maybe on an amulet you need to hotswap, drain is easy enough to work off
*contam - yellow contamination when you take it off - would almost never wear unless I'm sure I won't take it off for a long time, or I have some cancellation potions around
*rage - random berserking on attack - I tend to wear this, I probably shouldn't

What am I missing here? It seems like the negative effects should come into play to make your life harder, balanced by the strength of the item, but in reality I either totally neutralize them or skip the item.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 17:13

Re: *Corrode, *Confuse, etc

It really depends on a lot of other details.

Using *confuse without clarity is fine if you don't get hit a lot and you have potions of curing.
*contam is usually a non-issue. There is so much cure mut in the game and getting mutated is avoidable in the worst place.
*drain can be quite a lot and can mess with spell success percentages, don't underestimate this.
*tele is fairly harmless, but in some areas (Z:5, U:1, T:3, etc.) I wouldn't like it.
I would usually not wear *rage unless I can cancel the effect. Berserking at the wrong moment can be lethal.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 17:13

*corr can be fine for EV-based characters who rely on ranged attack
*rage can be fine for characters who rely on ranged attack (I inscribe my weapon with !a in this case)
*confuse can be ok for characters with immunity to poison (Gh) and with Cure Poison (all VM) since they tend to have more potions of curing than normal
*contam can give you mutations instantly without a chance to quaff potion of cancellation (happened to me once)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 19:15

There's also *fragile, which I think is the absolute worst and avoid like the plague.
Nothing I like better than finding a randart I can't use because then I have to cut Evokables out of my build completely... :|
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 23:58

Most evokables you don't have to wield, though. Just rods, but they're rare.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, nago, Sar

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice