Merfolk Crusaders?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 21:32

Merfolk Crusaders?

Could someone please explain the whole Merfolk Crusader thing that everyone is talking about? Maybe it's just me sucking really bad at it, but I tried the combo several times and it was...really underwhelming. I could never even get to the temple with em, because their HP sucks, their MP sucks, their AC sucks, their casting chance sucks and their damage output isn't something that great either.....so yeah, someone care to explain what's so special about them?

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 23:16

Re: Merfolk Crusaders?

You should be able to survive until level 3 with a trident and proper use of throwing items. Once you get there, you can berserk, which should carry you through the early game no problem.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 04:58

Jenx wrote:Could someone please explain the whole Merfolk Crusader thing that everyone is talking about? Maybe it's just me sucking really bad at it, but I tried the combo several times and it was...really underwhelming. I could never even get to the temple with em, because their HP sucks, their MP sucks, their AC sucks, their casting chance sucks and their damage output isn't something that great either.....so yeah, someone care to explain what's so special about them?

HP: average, same as humans. +1 fighting apt. Doesn't "suck".
MP: average, same as humans. 0 spellcasting apt. Doesn't "suck" because you are a hybrid and only need enough MP to cast buffs.
AC: Merfolk have the 2nd best dodge in the game, they don't need AC.
Casting Success: +1 to enchantments (mediocre starting int, though). It isn't hard to get freezing brand, regen, and berserk castable (and they don't have to be at excellent since they are buffs and can be often be recast safely if you miscast).
Damage: You start with the best possible starting weapon (a trident) and +4 polearms aptitude. Freezing brand and berserker rage are enough to kill 99% of pre-lair stuff if used carefully.

In late game you can either go straight melee (with haste) and rip things up with 27 polearms and a bardiche of freezing, or go towards ice magic and freeze everything (or some combination of the two). MfCr IS a harder combo to keep alive early than some others, but the midgame is a cruise (you rock in shoals or swamp with swimming boosts, plus any water level), and the late game is pretty straightforward, too.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 06:41

Yeah, I'm sure they are very powerful in the late game, except I can't get one to survive that much. I got freezing brand and I got berserk. Only problem is both are at Fair casting chance and most of the time I really need either one it fails to cast. As for the trident being the best weapon and all? Yeah, that's fine except I think you forgot to tell it to the gnolls. Or the kobolds. Or the friggin snakes. Not even when I'm playing a DeWi do I need to run away from snakes at XL3. It's just absurd.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 12:11

Try spamming Freezing Aura uselessly whenever you have a bloody chunk of meat in your inventory and more than 0xp in your pool. You only need one level of either enchantments or ice magic to get Freezing Aura to good, and your other staple spells will follow shortly afterward.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 16:10

Also bear in mind that Freezing Aura will slow cold-blooded creatures (like snakes!).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice