Ashenzari piety mecanic

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 20:00

Ashenzari piety mecanic

Hello everybody

Sorry for the noob question but I could not find information about this, searching both on this forum and on other sites.

Here is my question:
according to dcss wiki
"Ashenzari likes it when you explore the world (preferably while using cursed gear).
You have four equipment categories: armour, weapon, shield and jewellery. A category is considered "partially bound" if more than half of its slots in use are cursed, and "fully bound" if all slots in use are cursed. The more bound you are, the faster you'll acquire piety, and the more powerful several of Ashenzari's gifts will be."

What are exactly the definition of the "slots" the above sentence refers to?
For example for weapon: is it only one slot for a contact weapon? Or 2 slots for contact and ranged weapon? (if so, how does it work if I don't have ranged weapon) Or any weapon in my inventory is qualified for this?
More precise example: suppose I have a character with a cursed sword wielded, and in my inventory 10 uncersed maces and nothing else. Does the game consider that for the weapon category I am "fully bound" (the weapon in my hand is cursed), or partially bound (I don't have a ranged weapon cursed), or not bound at all (one cursed weapon on a total of 11, is less than 50%)?

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry again for the probably very noob questions :oops:
By the way if some page answer my question, a link would make the trick:)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 20:49

Re: Ashenzari piety mecanic

You only have one (ranged or melee) weapon wielded at a time, it's either one or two handed, there's one "slot" for each hand, (your second hand could be occupied with a two handed weapon, or with a weapon and a shield.

Your armour is pretty straightforward, there's slots for: body, boots, gloves, cloak, helmet

Your jewelry has three slots, two rings and an amulet.

Races can change the number of slots (for example, felids have no armour or weapon slots, octopodes have only one armour slot (helmet) and 8 ring slots (for a total of nine jewelry slots, etc.)

Generally you can see your 'slots' by hitting [ in game, anything that's not 'unavailable' counts for ash's counting purposes.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Gartch

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 21:14

Thank you very much for your answer.

I still have one question:
when I hit [ : I can only see information for armors.
So for weapon, if I have a cursed weapon in my first hand and nothing in my second hand, is the weapon category considered as partially bound or totally bound?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 22:06

Gartch wrote:So for weapon, if I have a cursed weapon in my first hand and nothing in my second hand, is the weapon category considered as partially bound or totally bound?

Fully bound, if it's a two-handed weapon. Partially bound, if it's a one-handed weapon (in this case cursing a shield in the other hand would make you fully bound).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Gartch

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 22:22

There is information on bound status in the ingame ^ menu.
Last edited by chequers on Monday, 29th August 2016, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 23:06

Ok thank for your answer:)

From what I understand, if you don't use a slot (empty hand or no rings, etc...) these empty slots still counts for Ashenzari and prevent you to be bound
for example with a cursed amulet and 0 rings used, you are not bound for jewellry category (at first I thought that in this situation you would be bound because I only have amulet and no ring, so it was 100% of used slot), am I right?

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 28th August 2016, 23:51

Right. An empty slot is unbound.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Gartch

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 29th August 2016, 09:01

Ok Thank you all for your help ;)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice