Some Spectral Weapon Questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 01:44

Some Spectral Weapon Questions

1. Does a spectral weapon swing with a speed based on your weapon skill, or is its speed independent of your weapon skill?
  2. If you have slaying, does this affect only your own weapon or also your spectral weapon?
  3. Does a spectral weapon of pain get a damage bonus based on your Necromancy skill?
  4. Can spectral weapons stab if the target is incapacitated somehow?
Thanks!
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 01:48

Re: Some Spectral Weapon Questions

Knowledge bot wrote:Creates an allied spectral clone of your wielded weapon, which strikes enemies in melee when you do. Damage it takes is shared with you. Its HD, damage, EV, AC and HP scale with spellpower.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 02:19

Yeah, I know how to do use knowledge bot, thanks. Note please that this doesn't answer any of my questions.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 03:31

Spectral weapon attacks when you attack if it can reach the target, so yes its attack speed is based on your weapon speed. My impression is that its damage characteristics are based on the weapon, including its slaying, and spellpower, but I don't know the details. I don't think it gets slaying from other equipment, but again I don't know. I believe it does use the caster's necromancy skill for pain damage. It does not stab, but it does distract monsters which can let you land stabs.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 21:05

MainiacJoe wrote:Yeah, I know how to do use knowledge bot, thanks. Note please that this doesn't answer any of my questions.

It mostly does.

Does a spectral weapon swing with a speed based on your weapon skill, or is its speed independent of your weapon skill?

Is strikes the enemy when you do. Therefore it is influenced by weapon speed/skill. If you strike more spectral weapon strikes more.

If you have slaying, does this affect only your own weapon or also your spectral weapon?

It's damage scales with spell power, not with rings you happen to find.

Does a spectral weapon of pain get a damage bonus based on your Necromancy skill?

No, only hexes, charms, spellcasting, intelligence, and anything else that influences spell power for a hexes/charm spell influence spell power.

Can spectral weapons stab if the target is incapacitated somehow?

No, I don't think so.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2016, 14:26

Thank you, Reptisaurus. BabyRage, my apologies.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2016, 14:58

lol
The Original Discourse Respecter

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 00:41

Reptisaurus wrote:
Does a spectral weapon of pain get a damage bonus based on your Necromancy skill?

No, only hexes, charms, spellcasting, intelligence, and anything else that influences spell power for a hexes/charm spell influence spell power.

I'm not sure this is necessarily the whole story. I haven't been code diving, but it is true that brands are applied from base weapon (distortion makes this very obvious), and it seems like a reasonable assumption that brand damage would be calculated similarly to its physical counterpart. I haven't heard anyone mulling over formulas for scaling distortion damage on spectral weapons. Pain seems like it would have some similar mechanic. For slaying bonus, of course spellpower makes obvious sense.

We could solve this by dropping by git. Maybe later tonight.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 00:52

Code:
/// Whose skill should be used for a pain-weapon effect?
static actor* _pain_weapon_user(actor* attacker)
{
    if (attacker->type != MONS_SPECTRAL_WEAPON)
        return attacker;

const mid_t summoner_mid = attacker->as_monster()->summoner;
    if (summoner_mid == MID_NOBODY)
        return attacker;

actor* summoner = actor_by_mid(attacker->as_monster()->summoner);
    if (!summoner || !summoner->alive())
        return attacker;
    return summoner;
}

i.e. If the attacker is NOT a spectral weapon, use the attacker's Necro skill. If the attacker is a spectral weapon, use the summoner's Necro skill (that's you). You can read on to the following function if you want to convince yourself that there isn't some additional funny business done with that pointer.

In short, yes, the caster's Necro skill is what is used to determine pain damage.

For this message the author JFunk has received thanks: 3
dracos369, duvessa, ololoev

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 8th September 2016, 00:56

Here's another great tidbit I looked up on knowledge bot earlier today:

golden eye[1/1]: Come in packs! Confuse (checks MR)! Tiny! Fast! Also, they blink (getit). Can't see invisible.

Thanks knowledge bot!

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2017, 22:06

If the weapon has a vampiric brand, does it heal itself or you?
Victorious with 12:
MiFi^Oka, OgBe^Trog, DsGl^Yred, TrMo^Qaz, GrFE^Veh, HOSk^Beo, DrWz^Sif, DECj^Nem, DDAr^Mak, MfTm^Ru, NaWr^Chei, HEEE^Sif

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice