Abyss

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 21:42

Abyss

I thought you could get out of the abyss at any point, I went in through a portal, but after seeing like 2 early exits out, 6000 turns later all I can find is exits down, I'm tired of this place, but I don't want to go down to 5, unless that's the only way out.
Probably not a very interesting topic, but dunno where to find the answer

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 21:43

Re: Abyss

Exits are guaranteed to spawn after getting some XP so try killing weak monsters.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 21:53

That's my point I was slaughtering almost everything for 6k turns, all I got was exits down. Finally just got one out after like 7k turns. Whenever I get abyssed I generally find one out pretty quick so I was thinking maybe they only appeared after the first chunk of xp and then it was all down portals until 5 or something.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 22:12

How guaranteed is "guaranteed"? Is it one of those things where the formula eventually spits out a 100% chance for the exit to spawn, presumably on a visible tile?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 22:24

Abyss can be a drag. Going down does increase the chance of the exit spawning randomly, does it also affect how much XP a player needs to kill to get an exit? Going down increases the chance that the rune will spawn, but also increases the danger. I myself have never gone below A:3.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th August 2016, 22:50

archaeo wrote:How guaranteed is "guaranteed"? Is it one of those things where the formula eventually spits out a 100% chance for the exit to spawn, presumably on a visible tile?

As far as I remember it takes the same amount of XP which recharges lamp of fire to create a exit and double that XP to create stairs down. So 100% guaranteed.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 16:11

Unless you take too long or teleport for another reason after your exit spawns...

I wish it spawned an exit with every downstairs after you spawned the first exit...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 15th August 2016, 20:19

Sandman25 wrote:
archaeo wrote:How guaranteed is "guaranteed"? Is it one of those things where the formula eventually spits out a 100% chance for the exit to spawn, presumably on a visible tile?

As far as I remember it takes the same amount of XP which recharges lamp of fire to create a exit and double that XP to create stairs down. So 100% guaranteed.

Also that exit appears literally right under your feet, so it is very unlikely (but not impossible, I think) that you will be teleported out before you can make use of it.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 05:53

amalloy wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

Also that exit appears literally right under your feet, so it is very unlikely (but not impossible, I think) that you will be teleported out before you can make use of it.

How ever, it is entirely possible to not notice it, if you are figting a horder of monsters and every tile is occupied and you can not move. Then you either die or get ported. (I have done both... :()

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 06:35

MrRokkomies wrote:
amalloy wrote:Also that exit appears literally right under your feet, so it is very unlikely (but not impossible, I think) that you will be teleported out before you can make use of it.

How ever, it is entirely possible to not notice it, if you are figting a horder of monsters and every tile is occupied and you can not move. Then you either die or get ported. (I have done both... :()

You would also have to page past the --more-- prompt excitedly telling you that an exit has appeared. I guess in that rare combination of many circumstances, you will miss your exit, but I think you probably deserve it at that point.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 12:44

amalloy wrote:
MrRokkomies wrote:
amalloy wrote:Also that exit appears literally right under your feet, so it is very unlikely (but not impossible, I think) that you will be teleported out before you can make use of it.

You would also have to page past the --more-- prompt excitedly telling you that an exit has appeared. I guess in that rare combination of many circumstances, you will miss your exit, but I think you probably deserve it at that point.

Yes, you are correct. :P Then again, there is also the problem of "too much more" when a ton of things happen between your turns and you just start to whack your spacebar saying going "yeah, yeah, yada yada ya, let me hit stuff!"

In any case, it is entirely my fault to miss the exit spawning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 13:50

Code:
show_more = true
        Setting this option to false will cause the game not to prompt
        if more than a window-full of messages are output at once. This
        option has no effect if clear_messages is set. Additionally, it
        has no effect on whether force_more_message triggers.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 15:56

When I missed the fact that an exit spawned, I was fighting with an axe and getting a MORE prompt after every single attack. I suppose I should modify my show_more to false to avoid that, if it will still allow force_more to work.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 15:58

Code:
Additionally, it
        has no effect on whether force_more_message triggers.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 16:26

Why isn't that set to false by default? I can't be the only person who has used an axe before, or experienced the other ways the game can spam you with MORE messages.

It's a little unfair to fault the user for missing a message buried in spam, after all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 17:06

dowan wrote:Why isn't that set to false by default? I can't be the only person who has used an axe before, or experienced the other ways the game can spam you with MORE messages.

It's a little unfair to fault the user for missing a message buried in spam, after all.

Because players are supposed to read all messages. Otherwise those messages should not be generated.

I wouldn't like it set to false by default. FWIW I get "more" for every monster who comes into view but I am not suggesting to set it as default ;)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 15:31

The messages that generate when I swing my axe once sometimes can generate more than one more message, so maybe the more messages that don't just mean there's more regular messages to read should require a different key to clear. If I read every one of those messages I'd still be playing my first game of crawl...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 15:35

That's intrinsic crawl problem: instead of statically displaying chance to hit and expected damage, players are expected to read messages with "You miss foo", "You closely miss foo", "You barely miss foo", "Plate armour prevents you from hitting foo", "You hit foo!", "You hit foo!!", "You hit foo!!!" etc.
And then devs keep telling that displaying 2 numbers is worse than spamming all those messages :(

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
dowan, ydeve

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice