Holy pan

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 01:51

Holy pan

Holypan is way less dangerous than most levels of Pan though.

(split from GDD)
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:32

Re: Can we brainstorm a way to shorten pandemonium?

Arrhythmia wrote:Holypan is way less dangerous than most levels of Pan though.

But... no it isn't...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:43

dowan wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:Holypan is way less dangerous than most levels of Pan though.

But... no it isn't...

Yes, it is!
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:48

Not sure why you are arguing, it depends on character (ignoring even species here).

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:51

TSO can't help you here...

undead beware...
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 16:54

TSO makes extended super easy, except holy pan. HW brand does nothing there, unlike the rest of extended. There are lots of high HP smiting angels, and if you're undead you're really in trouble thanks to all the HW weapons. The rune is also guarded by a monster far more dangerous than the vast majority of the random pan lords who guard the randomly placed demonic runes.

This is why I consider holy pan much harder than any random pan level. Note when I do extended I'm either following TSO, or undead and following someone else, and either situation only makes the holy pan situation worse. But angels are tougher than most demons for any character.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 17:26

TSO makes you immune to Ophan holy flames and pearl dragon breath though.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 17:52

When I get to Holypan as a TSO follower I just skip it ASAP because it doesn't make sense for me to butcher the followers of my god even if they don't accept me.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 22:37

Re: Holy pan

Why does holy pan even exist?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 22:44

Holypan is awesome, even as an avid ds/mu player I always like it when I find it, its like a breath of fresh air amidst the tedium and amalgam of sameness which ecompasses the concept of pan.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 23:38

The problem with Holy Pan is that it is an incredibly densely populated collection of all the most annoying monsters that still exist in the game. The only relatively recent monster collections that were unambiguously more annoying were the Forest branch and pre-nerf doom hounds. Even if it is easy to clear Holy Pan, it probably won't be much fun because there are a billion monsters in it that are specifically designed to be as obnoxious as possible while you're getting rid of them, and they respawn almost as fast as you can kill them.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, duvessa, nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 23:41

Ophans are kind of annoying because you have to confirm entering their clouds every damn time, but others? Cherubs and apises are actually pretty plain, angels are a good enemy, just fast melee with a dash of self-heal, daevas are okay, pearl dragons are okay. I mean, I'd agree with you back when shedu and phoenixes existed (whyyy), but they don't exist anymore.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 23:45

jwoodward48ss wrote:Why does holy pan even exist?

Because it's cool and also a source of !cMut, good large shields and decently enchanted holy weapons.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks: 2
chequers, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 08:03

dowan wrote:TSO makes extended super easy, except holy pan. HW brand does nothing there, unlike the rest of extended. There are lots of high HP smiting angels, and if you're undead you're really in trouble thanks to all the HW weapons. The rune is also guarded by a monster far more dangerous than the vast majority of the random pan lords who guard the randomly placed demonic runes.

This is why I consider holy pan much harder than any random pan level. Note when I do extended I'm either following TSO, or undead and following someone else, and either situation only makes the holy pan situation worse. But angels are tougher than most demons for any character.

Usually when I do Pan, I'm neither following TSO nor undead.

I suppose we all learned a valuable lesson about biases here today.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 10:07

Arrhythmia wrote:I suppose we all learned a valuable lesson about biases here today.

Tsk tsk...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 13:28

Sar wrote:Ophans are kind of annoying because you have to confirm entering their clouds every damn time, but others? Cherubs and apises are actually pretty plain, angels are a good enemy, just fast melee with a dash of self-heal, daevas are okay, pearl dragons are okay. I mean, I'd agree with you back when shedu and phoenixes existed (whyyy), but they don't exist anymore.

Hmm, I guess it's been a while since I've been to holy pan then, because shedu and phoenixes were there last time I went. Well I suppose I'll have to wait till I experience the current version of Holy Pan to comment on it's relative difficulty.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:07

Holy pan is nice because of the guaranteed rune with a fixed location. The enemy density is quite high so it can be a bit tricky. Daevas can be annoying if the have large shields.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 14:31

I would like it if pearl dragons were turned into phoenices with exactly the same stats and mechanics.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 20:38

Holy pan is the only instantly recognizable guaranteed demonic rune vault, so I usually clear it when doing extended, even as undead. And summon hollies is annoying.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 21:58

dowan wrote:relative difficulty

Shedu and phoenixes weren't difficult, they were kind of annoying. I dunno how the spawns work, but if some of their spawns were replaced by angels and daevas, that's more of an increase in difficulty.

Silver stars though, those things were evil. I miss them.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 22:01

stickyfingers wrote:Holy pan is the only instantly recognizable guaranteed demonic rune vault, so I usually clear it when doing extended, even as undead. And summon hollies is annoying.

Is it? I'm just asking, because, when I got it, I had already got the rune. if you don't have the rune, it's guaranteed to spawn in Holyp?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 11th August 2016, 00:11

Shtopit wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:Holy pan is the only instantly recognizable guaranteed demonic rune vault, so I usually clear it when doing extended, even as undead. And summon hollies is annoying.

Is it? I'm just asking, because, when I got it, I had already got the rune. if you don't have the rune, it's guaranteed to spawn in Holyp?

Yes.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Shtopit

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 11th August 2016, 02:13

stickyfingers wrote:And summon hollies is annoying.

That sounds like a Fedhas ability.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
dowan, Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 11th August 2016, 14:39

Well, Fedhas is annoying, so everything adds up ;)

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks: 2
BabyRage, cerebovssquire

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 11th August 2016, 15:06

Sar wrote:angels are a good enemy, just fast melee with a dash of self-heal, daevas are okay,

And the AC and the large shield! It takes a ridiculously long time for my quick blade users to kill them.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th August 2016, 15:54

Well, a bad character might have trouble killing strong enemies, though monster SH is possibly a bit too good.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 14:46

Holy Pan is one of the reasons I like doing Hell before pan. Daevas with their SH and their Smiting are Greater Mummy tier threats...that cannot be silenced and are very very swingy to melee; nearly impossible to hit with ranged weapons (especially now that penetration is gone; ignoring monster SH was one of the bonuses of that brand). But with the Staff of Dispater...BAMF! 2 Shots, works everytime all the time.

That said; I do think Holy Pan is pretty badly designed still; in the same way that old tomb was. What's actually deadly to most characters in Holy Pan? Angels (Mummy Priests) and Daevas (Greater Mummies); with the latter being worse; and there's a melee only creature that hits surprisingly hard, but is generally harmless unless you have poor AC Bennu (Guardian Mummy). The other spawns are mostly harmless.

[Or in clearer terms; the actual DEADLY thing to the floor is SPAMMED and it's only 2 monster types.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 2
dowan, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th August 2016, 14:59

bcadren wrote:Holy Pan is one of the reasons I like doing Hell before pan. Daevas with their SH and their Smiting are Greater Mummy tier threats...that cannot be silenced and are very very swingy to melee; nearly impossible to hit with ranged weapons (especially now that penetration is gone; ignoring monster SH was one of the bonuses of that brand). But with the Staff of Dispater...BAMF! 2 Shots, works everytime all the time.

That said; I do think Holy Pan is pretty badly designed still; in the same way that old tomb was. What's actually deadly to most characters in Holy Pan? Angels (Mummy Priests) and Daevas (Greater Mummies); with the latter being worse; and there's a melee only creature that hits surprisingly hard, but is generally harmless unless you have poor AC Bennu (Guardian Mummy). The other spawns are mostly harmless.

[Or in clearer terms; the actual DEADLY thing to the floor is SPAMMED and it's only 2 monster types.]

What you described makes me think it is well designed, not badly. Holy pan is my favorite level in extended. Thanks for note about staff of dispater, never knew it's so powerful.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
ichbins

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice