Fighter shield?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:29

Fighter shield?

Fighters start with a shield. Should you use it, or just immediately drop it?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:36

Re: Fighter shield?

I guess you should use it but don't train shields. Then you can switch to a good two-hander when you find one.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:37

I think it's not a guess but some memories from previous threads where it was supported by fsim results and common logic ;)

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:53

If I'm a long blade or mace user I'll train shields and stick with one-handers. Scimitars and morning stars will last you long enough until you find the top tier one-handers.
If I'm a using axes or polearms I'll ditch the shield as soon as I find a decent two-hander.
But then again, if I don't plan to use and train shields I wouldn't pick fighter. That's what gladiators are for.
Last edited by Tungsten on Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:57, edited 2 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:55

With the recent changes to long blades, it's pretty sensible to stick with a 1h sword and shield throughout the whole game. A double sword is now just a 1h great sword, and triple swords are too expensive in terms of XP to really be worthwhile most of the time.

But, even if you don't intend to keep the shield all game, at least use it until you find a good 2h weapon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 13:57

Tungsten wrote:If I'm a long blade or mace user I'll just train the shield and stick with one-handers. Scimitars and morning stars will last you long enough until you find the top tier one-handers.
If I'm a using axes or polearms I'll ditch the shiled as soon as I find a decent two-hander.

But then again, if I don't plan to use and train shields I wouldn't pick fighter. That's what gladiators are for.

I hope you train weapon to min delay and some fighting/armour/doding before training shield for those scimitars and morningstars. And then you find a great sword/great mace/dire flail before training shields.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:03

Sandman25 wrote:
Tungsten wrote:If I'm a long blade or mace user I'll just train the shield and stick with one-handers. Scimitars and morning stars will last you long enough until you find the top tier one-handers.
If I'm a using axes or polearms I'll ditch the shiled as soon as I find a decent two-hander.

I hope you train weapon to min delay and some fighting/armour/doding before training shield for those scimitars and morningstars. And then you find a great sword/great mace/dire flail before training shields.

I will train my skills in the optimal order. And then when I find a 2 hander, I will stick with a one-hander and shield (*) because I picked fighter to play a tanky shield using melee dude. Otherwise I might as well pick Be/Gl in the beginning.

(*) unless the 2-hander is extremely good.
Last edited by Tungsten on Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:06

Tungsten wrote:I will train my skills in the optimal order. And then when I find a 2 hander, I will stick with a one-hander and shield because that is why I picked the fighter background.

I see, I am always going to use a shield when I start as Fi too. But then I find some 2h vampiric weapon in a different weapon category and have to switch if playing optimally :(

Edit. I believe switching to great mace from flail is optimal so it looks like you are training skills optimally while not using optimal weapon.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:09

Sandman25 wrote:
Tungsten wrote:I will train my skills in the optimal order. And then when I find a 2 hander, I will stick with a one-hander and shield because that is why I picked the fighter background.

I see, I am always going to use a shield when I start as Fi too. But then I find some 2h vampiric weapon in a different weapon category and have to switch if playing optimally :(

I like shields for flavor and a different playing experience. If all I cared about was optimal play I'd pick MiBe every time. Plus I really hate "wasting" experience on skills that I won't use, even the small 3.0 in shields that a fighter gets in the start. I know its not truly wasted because it helps you in the early game, but it is what it is :)
Last edited by Tungsten on Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Tungsten has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:11

Tungsten wrote:Yeah, well if you're playing optimally wouldn't you always choose MiBe to begin with?

No. It's a common misconception, there are games (not crawl) where my win rate is higher but it does not mean I have to play them instead of crawl. The game starts after picking species/background.

Edit. It looks like we should stop editing our posts :)

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:16

Sandman25 wrote:
Tungsten wrote:Yeah, well if you're playing optimally wouldn't you always choose MiBe to begin with?

No. It's a common misconception, there are games (not crawl) where my win rate is higher but it does not mean I have to play them instead of crawl. The game starts after picking species/background.

That's subjective. For me, when I pick Fi, the goal is "play a tanky shield user optimally".

Edit. It looks like we should stop editing our posts :)

Haha yea

For this message the author Tungsten has received thanks:
Sandman25

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice