Loot Quality?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 13:47

Loot Quality?

Does the dungeon level influence what floor loot you find? If so, what is considered good and what is considered bad? What about branches?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 14:17

Re: Loot Quality?

Yes. Branch entries have base level that is fixed (as in, not depending where the entrance actually spawned).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 12:33

Your question is rather broad. Are you asking what items in the game are considered good? Or are you asking what branches have the good items?

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 13:37

I consider good loot anything that helps me killdudes and/or not get killed by dudes. Loot has different rarity but that doesn't mean rare loot > common loot. You can easily win the game with only basic items because scrolls of enchantment and branding are a thing.

If you want something more specific you'll need to be as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 13:47

Last floors of branches with good loot/danger ratio: Elf, Crypt, Slime, Lair, Orc (need gold for the latter).
Last floors of branches with bad loot/danger ratio: Hell, Abyss, Pan, Shoals, Vaults, Tomb.
Last floors of branches with basically no loot: Spider, Swamp, Snake, Zot.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 01:03

Sandman25 wrote:Last floors of branches with good loot/danger ratio: Elf, Crypt, Slime, Lair, Orc (need gold for the latter).
Last floors of branches with bad loot/danger ratio: Hell, Abyss, Pan, Shoals, Vaults, Tomb.

When each of these "good" branches becomes acceptably dangerous is of course an entirely different question.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 14:44

MainiacJoe wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Last floors of branches with good loot/danger ratio: Elf, Crypt, Slime, Lair, Orc (need gold for the latter).

When each of these "good" branches becomes acceptably dangerous is of course an entirely different question.

I assumed "standard" path for 15 rune game. I do last floors of branches from first list for loot and branches from third list for runes/orb (I would avoid Spider4, Swamp4, Snake4, Zot5 if it was possible)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:49

Oh of course. I just didn't want a noob diving Slime before S branches to get loot, because he has Swamp and Spider and sees that he won't get loot from them.

BTW ought Depths be added to the list of bad danger/loot ratios? I'm not familiar enough with all the Zot entrance vaults, maybe enough of them have good loot that it isn't accurate.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:52

Depths 5 is in the 3rd list, its loot is identical to Depths 1-4. Though some vaults in Depths 1-4 can be more dangerous than the hardest Zot entrance.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 16:01

Sandman25 wrote:Depths 5 is in the 3rd list, its loot is identical to Depths 1-4.
Sorry, I'm confused by this. I don't see "Depths" in any of the three lines. No biggie, but it does confirm what i was thinking about Depths 5.
Sandman25 wrote:Depths 5 is in the 3rd list, its loot is identical to Depths 1-4. Though some vaults in Depths 1-4 can be more dangerous than the hardest Zot entrance.
Ain't that the truth!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 16:56

MainiacJoe wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Depths 5 is in the 3rd list, its loot is identical to Depths 1-4.
Sorry, I'm confused by this. I don't see "Depths" in any of the three lines. No biggie, but it does confirm what i was thinking about Depths 5.

I mean Depths should be in 3rd list, I forgot to put it initially.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 19:18

In general, I believe floor loot (stuff placed in vaults is different) generates with a "depth" corresponding to how deep you are in the dungeon. So you'll generally find "better" items further down. Plus, there are more vaults with good items and monsters with good gear later on.

In addition, some things (such as strong attack wands, scrolls of acquirement, I think?) aren't allowed to spawn at too shallow a depth at all. The attack wands thing is to keep there from being a random goblin with a wand of acid (Ijyb is special), and the acquirement thing is for I don't know why actually.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice