Gda

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 15:08

Gda

Why do people say that waiting to enchant gda is bad? Usually, you can find some decently enchanted (2-3) branded plate armor to carry you until you get gda.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 15:16

Re: Gda

#1: You're not guaranteed to get GDA, so saving scrolls that could otherwise be helping you now is silly.
#2: AC now helps you not die now. AC later won't matter if you die now.

(edit: and I'm assuming that this is a character for whom GDA is a good idea in the first place, which is not the case for many characters)
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 15:42

Gold dragons are plentiful in depths. Also, if you die early, then you can restart easily, but deaths in the lategame cause you to lose a lot more progress.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 15:50

If you have a decent plate armour, you won't die in the late game for body armour reasons.

"If I die in the early game while waiting for GDA I can just restart" is not a very compelling argument pro GDA...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, BabyRage, duvessa, Leszczynek, nago, ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 20:20

Chances are if you've gone through the trouble of killing a gold dragon you may be strong enough to just abyss scum or fight through half of a ziggurat for phat loot including EA.

If you aren't you don't have to wait much longer anyway to get that kind of power. Either way you'll probably be able to get more EA so just spend the stuff you have right away.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 21:00

I save Enchant Armour scrolls a lot...and when I do there's a fair chance I'll get a artifacts of decent quality and wind up never using the scrolls at all...and a decent chance I'll end up pouring them all into body armour. Both happen a lot. I only spend them immediately if I'm sure the item will be with me for a long time (IE enchanting +0 boots of running, but not +0 Boots or Cloak of MR+ but not Cloak, etc.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 21:44

arandomperson12 wrote:Also, if you die early, then you can restart easily, but deaths in the lategame cause you to lose a lot more progress.

I encourage you to tally up your time spent on characters that died before getting a rune, and time spent on characters that died after getting a rune, and then to compare the two.

For this message the author Brannock has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, ydeve

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 00:16

Thus far, I have never actually died after getting a rune.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 02:07

GDA only appears in about 25% of typical 15-rune games, and 15% of 3-rune games, as per objstat: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... WhLVWRXbG8

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 03:14

That's probably because on both non heavy armor characters and many heavy armor characters, the hide is not enchanted into gda. The hide itself will be much more common.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 03:21

arandomperson12 wrote:Thus far, I have never actually died after getting a rune.

Then it seems that you are better served in shoring up your early game than by reserving strategical resources for the late game, right?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 03:49

The game gets easier the farther in you get, so enchant scrolls are best used on auxiliary slot items. With that said if I find a decent artefact body armor and my character is not struggling, I will often sit on a few ?ea with the hope of making GDA later. This frees up your ring slots in fights vs. elemental attackers so that you can wear protection, evasion, or slaying rings without worrying about randomly taking an 80.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
Brannock

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 10:17

arandomperson12 wrote:That's probably because on both non heavy armor characters and many heavy armor characters, the hide is not enchanted into gda. The hide itself will be much more common.

The linked spreadsheet seems to indicate gold dragon hide being in only 5% of 3 rune games, if I'm reading it correctly.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 10:45

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the same to use your scrolls of enchant armour on GDA or on a pair of gloves? You can use up to 8 this way, and more if you find branded gloves/boots/etc to substitute yours. Keep one scroll in case you find a hide you really like and use up the others. 1 AC/SH point shouldn't be that much of an expense, and you will be better covered during much of the game.

Also, gold dragons didn't seem that plentiful to me. In some games I couldn't find any outside the Vaults, and those exploded or left no body or, when butchered, left no hide.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 11:50

Shtopit wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the same to use your scrolls of enchant armour on GDA or on a pair of gloves?
No, because you don't get GDA in early dungeon most games, but you do get aux armor.
genericpseudonym wrote:The linked spreadsheet seems to indicate gold dragon hide being in only 5% of 3 rune games, if I'm reading it correctly.
This is because people are not butchering gold dragons, since they don't drop edible chunks and you usually already are set for body armor once you find them. If you want to, you could have gold dragon hide every game... but only once you hit Zot, or a bit earlier if you are somewhat lucky.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 11:57

Shard1697 wrote:
Shtopit wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the same to use your scrolls of enchant armour on GDA or on a pair of gloves?
No, because you don't get GDA in early dungeon most games, but you do get aux armor.

What I meant is, the bonus you gain by using the scroll on GDA isn't different from the one you get from using it on aux arm, right? It only touches the AC/SH number, not things like GDR or penalties or something else. This is why I think it's better to use the scrolls earlier and just keep one around for hides.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 13:53

chequers wrote:GDA only appears in about 25% of typical 15-rune games, and 15% of 3-rune games, as per objstat: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... WhLVWRXbG8

Objstat only reports on the items that are made by the dungeon; items made by the player through butchering and enchanting are misreported. You can see this with the "30% of spawning in a game TLA".
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
chequers

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice