Lignification: I never use it

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 16:49

Lignification: I never use it

What am I missing? What sorts of characters and situations is it especially good for, what sorts of characters and situations is it especially bad for?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 17:03

Re: Lignification: I never use it

makes you almost unkillable, it's sick. quaff at beginning of fight.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 17:18

it's decent for harder combos in early and midgame.
especially those with unarmed skill, like octopodes and felids. because it increases unarmed base dmg and gives some AC
if you have a weak weapon type and more fighting than wpn skill it can also be worth to unwield the weapon imo, to deal better dmg

later on it can be useful because of the negative energy immunity, but be aware that no dodging / moving can be deadly.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 18:16

Ogres love it before and in Lair. The 20-something AC it gives makes early game monsters unable to harm you.

I've also seen a player use it in Tomb to survive a bad situation, but I don't remember the exact circumstances preventing just walking away, might have been Chei or something.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 18:23

just use it on grinder

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 18:57

But then he'll just blink away until your treeform runs out.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 20:22

It makes you immune to torment so if you're feeling cheesy you can quaff one right before reading a couple scrolls of torment on some poor sap.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 20:53

jwoodward48ss wrote:But then he'll just blink away until your treeform runs out.
He'll still spend time next to you because he walks towards you and only sometimes blinks, I don't think I've ever not killed grinder after popping lig.

addendum: pop lig vs. grinder away from unexplored space so other enemies don't show up. this should be implicit though

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 21:28

You can minimize Grinder's blink-cheese by luring her into a tight hallway (e.g. a short section with 90-degree cutoffs at both ends). I'm sure I've had lignification run out before I could kill her at least a couple of times, probably because there was too much space around.

I once made the mistake of trying to lignify against Sigmund without having any reaching/ranged attacks of my own... :oops:

So the main caution against !lig is to make sure you can keep enemies in range.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 22:02

It's my go-to "anti-bees in earlygame" solution. For extra hilarity (read: don't do this without thinking it through), also quaff !berserk and laugh at the absurdity of an angry tree.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 22:07

You creak for attention!

For this message the author BabyRage has received thanks: 2
darksab0r, pumpyscump

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 01:35

genericpseudonym wrote:It makes you immune to torment so if you're feeling cheesy you can quaff one right before reading a couple scrolls of torment on some poor sap.

I had a game a while back where I would have died in Tomb if not for a spectator pointing out that treeform made me immune to torments and highly resistant to negative energy. Since then I've always made sure to bring a couple !lignify to Tomb.

Lignification is good in the early game when your defenses are poor across the board. It's a health boost and it sets your AC to 20-something. Your EV takes a sharp hit, so generally you only want to lignify when you're up against monsters that you can't outrun and that you are unlikely to be able to dodge.

After the early game, when you should have higher AC and/or EV, the stasis that lignification gives you is far more deadly than the (increasingly marginal) benefits it grants.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 02:45

tedric wrote:You can minimize Grinder's blink-cheese by luring her into a tight hallway (e.g. a short section with 90-degree cutoffs at both ends). I'm sure I've had lignification run out before I could kill her at least a couple of times, probably because there was too much space around.

I once made the mistake of trying to lignify against Sigmund without having any reaching/ranged attacks of my own... :oops:

So the main caution against !lig is to make sure you can keep enemies in range.

On the other hand, I don't think crawl AI is smart enough to back out of melee range if they're fighting a tree and have a reaching weapon, so you should still be able to do it if you run into melee range first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 05:19

It's really good early game when there are less ranged/spell threats. A dedicated fighter can use it to melee down a unique like... Donald... or Ijyb...

It's also good for when you're trapped in a corridor (which hampers most ranged threats) and don't want to teleport. Because the level's too unexplored, for instance.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 18:33

It's godlike on an OpTm, who has otherwise very little access to sources of AC and GDR. You just smack everything until it dies. It's really that simple. Probably does a good job taking out hydras too.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 22:44

Lignification also heals some hp, so it can save you from lethal poison sometimes
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 23:58

In other words, best potion ever. Use it!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 3
joyousshower, Sandman25, Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 10:39

Use lignification on mummy zig floors if you can't use Necromutation for some reason.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice