The swamp is gone?!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 18:53

The swamp is gone?!

Hey all,

i have spent a good hour searching for the swamp in the lair now... it aint there?! Spent 3-4 magic mapping scrolls and i just cant seem to find it. Is it a bug or am i blind? :(

Can't see it either with CTRL-g... so i didn't find it so far... oddd :(

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 18:57

Re: The swamp is gone?!

There should be three branches that begin in the Lair, out of 4 possibilities: the Swamp, the Shoals, Snake Pits, Slime Pits.

If you've got Shoals, Snake, and Slime, you've got your 3, and there isn't a Swamp.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 19:03

Ahhh thanks i got 3 there ye... (n00b me :D)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 19:27

Count yourself lucky. Most of the times when I show MY noobishness, I get to start a brand new character to commemorate the occasion!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 19:41

i think slime pits are guaranteed. So its basically 2/3 not 3/4

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 19:57

He's right. Slime is guaranteed. 2 of 3 for Shoals, Swamp, or Snake.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 11th July 2011, 18:33

Sadly, Shoals is by far harder than Swamp, IMHO. (Swamp is just like Lair+, whereas Shoals is literally dropping you in the metaphorical and literal deep end of the pool)
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 11th July 2011, 18:42

No Swamp isn't ALWAYS bad news. Both the Snake Pit and Shoals can have shops, but I don't think I've ever seen one in the Swamp. It's totally worth having to put up with the Shoals if you can get some extra cure mutation potions, or a rMut amulet, or a rare spell book, or a great randart, or anything else that doesn't always pop up (or pop up ENOUGH) every game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th July 2011, 21:19

minmay wrote:Indeed, Shoals is vastly harder than Snake or Swamp.

It is also more fun than either; by fun, I mean challenging.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 11th July 2011, 21:26

Oh noes not harder :(.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th July 2011, 21:47

I don't know that Swamp 1-4 is all that easier than Shoals 1-4, either. It's much easier to do Shoals without infinite levitation than it is to do Swamp without any form of clarity or poison resistance. Submerged alligators are more than capable of killing an otherwise decent character, and they're almost impossible to shake off. Worse, there's no escape route if you meet something that you can't handle. At least in Shoals you can pillar-dance around one of the rock outcroppings on an island until either your mana regenerated or the tide comes in. In Swamp, the natural barriers only work on you. Javelineers are really the only super-nasty Shoals threat that doesn't have anything comparable Swamp-side, and they're pretty rare outside of Shoals 5.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th July 2011, 08:02

KoboldLord wrote:Submerged alligators are more than capable of killing an otherwise decent character, and they're almost impossible to shake off.

This.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 04:54

Krakans can appear outside of shoals:5. They are pretty scary with their super long tentacles and massive damage.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 06:28

eh, either way I wouldn't do swamp or snake with out poison resistance, and I wouldn't do shoals without an on demand source of levitation, usually the spell or flight. You can usually have at least one of those by the time you're done with lair.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 10:45

Waywinkle wrote:Krakans can appear outside of shoals:5. They are pretty scary with their super long tentacles and massive damage.

Krakens' main bodies can't move over land, though, and the tentacles will stop following you once you get away from the main body. They're basically slightly more mobile oklob plants. You'll rarely see more than one or two, and unlike oklob plants which often block access to the stairs or to treasure, krakens usually occupy some part of the map where you have no reason to return. Unless you manage to provoke a siren or something at the same time as the kraken, there should be no trouble popping an escape item and running away.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 15:45

KoboldLord wrote:
Waywinkle wrote:Krakans can appear outside of shoals:5. They are pretty scary with their super long tentacles and massive damage.

Krakens' main bodies can't move over land, though, and the tentacles will stop following you once you get away from the main body. They're basically slightly more mobile oklob plants.

Except they don't shoot acid at you and destroy your equipment.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice