Lack of resistances preventing access to extended?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 13:15

Lack of resistances preventing access to extended?

Sometimes, I feel that if the rng does not generate good gear that gives resists, then you get locked out of extended. For example, I once planed to go into extended with a MfGl of TSO, but I did not find anything that gave mr besides a randart +6 chain mail and a ring of mr. Therefore, I could not go into extended as I needed the chain mail to have good MR, and the chain mail did not provide much ac compared to gda.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 13:25

Re: Lack of resistances preventing access to extended?

You don't need amazing resists to do extended. Fewer resists just means that more concentration is occasionally required. The only danger you're in from low MR at this point is paralysis. And yes, it's potentially nasty but you can limit your exposure with careful positioning, and in any case the chance of it happening in a bad spot is still fairly small.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 14:18

arandomperson12 wrote:For example, I once planed to go into extended with a MfGl of TSO, but I did not find anything that gave mr besides a randart +6 chain mail and a ring of mr.
That's plenty.
arandomperson12 wrote:Therefore, I could not go into extended as I needed the chain mail to have good MR, and the chain mail did not provide much ac compared to gda.
Why does that mean you can't go into extended? It just means you gotta choose between more MR or more AC.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 14:41

I think he meant having to choose between rPois, rC and rF from GDA against MR from the chain shirt, rather than AC.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 15:11

He specifically said AC so I doubt it. Either way you're not being denied access to extended, you just feel uncomfortable because you're not quite as tanky as you'd like.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 16:23

The only resistances that are important for extended are rC+ for cocytus:7 and maybe rF+ for geh:7 and cerebov's level. Other resistances or multiple levels of rF/rC are just convenience. And since potions of resistance are a thing...

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 16:42

If the gremlins in your head won't let you do pan/hell/tomb you can "just" scum the abyss until you get what you want.

PS: Do not scum the abyss.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 19:57

duvessa wrote:The only resistances that are important for extended are rC+ for cocytus:7 and maybe rF+ for geh:7 and cerebov's level. Other resistances or multiple levels of rF/rC are just convenience. And since potions of resistance are a thing...

Well I'd add rc+ to be safe also in pan
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 20:50

You should have access to, at least, swappable rF+ and rC+. In practice almost all damage you take in extended outside of boss battles will be Hellfire, Torment, Ice Fiend melee, and a random LCS/Iron shot here and there, so as long as you have reasonable endgame defenses, your torment and hellfire mitigation tactics are more important.
remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 21:44

nago wrote:Well I'd add rc+ to be safe also in pan

Just bail through a portal the moment you see an ice fiend, and quaff a potion of resistance when you run through Lom Lobon's chamber. Also bail through a portal the moment you see an annoying monster that is not an ice fiend, and on general principle whenever you're in a level that is not one of the four important ones.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 24th July 2016, 23:03

KoboldLord wrote:

Just bail through a portal the moment you see an ice fiend, and quaff a potion of resistance when you run through Lom Lobon's chamber. Also bail through a portal the moment you see an annoying monster that is not an ice fiend, and on general principle whenever you're in a level that is not one of the four important ones.

I usually don't stand on a portal when I notice an Ice Fiend (or any annoying monster).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 12:32

Random fast pan lords with glaciate are extremely dangerous in my view. I'd pick a single pip of rC+ over quite a lot of other options for that reason. Of course the likelihood isn't high and plenty of consumables should be available, but it's one of those things that can actually kill characters.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 14:41

KoboldLord wrote:

What I meant is that while the extended (and Pan) is still doable if no good rc+ source spawned - like this very peculiar game - usually a rc+ does exist by that point of the game, and in that case it is very convenient to bring as swap considering dangerous monster with cold attack could spawn in unfortunate situations - e.g. random Pan lord with glaciate
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Sar

Barkeep

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 15:19

HOWEVER even with no (or inconvenient) resistances... you're in extended. Your inventory is full of things that will help you escape. Use them when you run across a dangerous situation.

Or if drops have been really really really unlucky and you really really really want to do extended, do it and be careful and maybe get killed. The game's a roguelike. Sometimes you'll have crap luck.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 09:33

Resistances are very much needed for extended. I would like to see anyone show a game where they managed to beat hells or even Zot with just one level of resistances or none.

You certainly can't fight your way through it. You would have to cheese it somehow.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 11:18

Note that if playing a low HP species like felid/Spriggan you absolutely want full resists.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 11:24

Xion350 wrote:Resistances are very much needed for extended. I would like to see anyone show a game where they managed to beat hells or even Zot with just one level of resistances or none.

You certainly can't fight your way through it. You would have to cheese it somehow.
You can absolutely go through Zot with only one level of rF, if that's what you're saying...

Here's a 3-rune game I had recently where I didn't get more than 1 of any resist. Zot was just fine.
  Code:
rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +   
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .   
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .   
rPois  +          Spirit   .   
rElec  +          Dismiss  .   
rCorr  .          Reflect  .   
SustAt .          Harm     .   
MR     ++...                   
Stlth  ..........               

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 12:54

don't forget about rN in the extended,
difference between zero rN and rN+++ is noticeable when you get hit by occasional torment

edit:
Xion350 wrote:Resistances are very much needed for extended. I would like to see anyone show a game where they managed to beat hells or even Zot with just one level of resistances or none.

I did win a lot games(both 3 and 15 runes) with just one pip of resistances, like in the Shard's example, and if you search some morgues, Im sure you'll find more examples.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 16:23

I'm completely happy with one pip of rF for Zot. I try to have one pip of rN for Crypt, because draining is annoying.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice