TRJ stretegy for "casters"?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 18:13

TRJ stretegy for "casters"?

What's the secret Korean pro tech for defeating TRJ as a "caster"?

With a "melee" character I'd just fight Jello in one of the corridors, reading a scroll of summoning to limit its spawn, buff up and pummel it.

I have little experience with "casters" (for example one highly skilled in conjurations, but sub-par defenses and basically non-existant melee capabilties), making the above approach suicidal.

What spells/tactics do you use? Omg, Jello will kill me. Tasukete!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 18:36

Re: TRJ stretegy for "casters"?

Fire storm/glaciate?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 18:45

Train defenses. The cheapest way in xp investment is still basically the same.

As a conjurations-focused build, you still want to kill The Royal Jelly in a corridor because that means there are two acid blobs hitting you instead of ten of them shooting you. So quaff every buff potion you have and unload your bolt of element directly in its face at point-blank range, and quaff a potion of magic when you run out of mp. Once it's dead, teleport out and run for the stairs so you can pick off the spawns in smaller numbers at full health. Being a 'caster' does not mean it is a good idea to dump all your defensive stats, so you should be approximately as survivable in the corridors with a caster as you are with a melee brute.

If you're coming in with an overpowered and overtrained character you can just nuke it with Tornado or Glaciate or whatever and be done with it, but probably you don't have that otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 18:46

Bolt of fire/cold/magma/lightning/draining, LRD, freezing cloud. No need to go overboard with level 9 spells.

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 19:05

Quaff brilliance and cast your level 9. If you don't have a level 9 use immolation scrolls with your bolt spell.
remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 20:01

I like scroll of torment as an opening move, especially on undead or resistant characters. It's good against dissolution too. Then just hit it hard. Fighting in the corridor with friendly summons is also a very good idea.

If you're really fragile because you've undertrained defences, then consider just giving this fight a miss. If you insist then make sure you are properly buffed: haste, brilliance, agility, resistances, everything! Then try to kill it before it gets to you. If it gets to you blink away and keep shooting. Read tele when it's dead unless you have strong AoE to clean up.

Evokers and summons are good, but be careful that they don't interfere with your main way of doing damage.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 17th July 2016, 21:38

Just cast bolt spells from the upstairs. Reset as needed. I've never had any problems.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 05:18

The last time I did it, I used CBL and immolation in the open.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
Rast

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 05:17

The same way you kill every other mid/late game blob. Spam the shit out of iron shot.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 08:09

I always just haste myself/summon spellforged servitor/spam bolt spell until he dies. Then I can run away, before the slimes he spawns even get around me.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 12:20

NhorianScum wrote:The same way you kill every other mid/late game blob. Spam the shit out of iron shot.

It's usually hidden behind a wall of slimes though.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 22:06

stickyfingers wrote:Bolt of fire/cold/magma/lightning/draining, LRD, freezing cloud. No need to go overboard with level 9 spells.

If you have LRD don't even bother fighting it. Just bust open the chambers and apport the rune.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 22:25

Midn8 wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:Bolt of fire/cold/magma/lightning/draining, LRD, freezing cloud. No need to go overboard with level 9 spells.

If you have LRD don't even bother fighting it. Just bust open the chambers and apport the rune.

Why? Busting open 4 different chambers makes noise and takes time, during which trj and slimes will attack you. Also, you probably want a lot of the loot there, and not just the rune. Trj is also worth 14312 xp. That is nearly double the exp given from an ancient lich.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 22:34

I don't play casters terribly often, but whenever I do I'm always incredibly impressed by the amount of damage freezing cloud can do over time.

Imaginary math time! Say bolt of cold deals 50 damage, and hits two targets, for 6 mana. That's 100 damage/6 mana = ~17 damage per mana.
Imagine freezing cloud hits for 15 damage per turn (10 auts) and you've managed to cover 4 monsters with it, and lasts 10 turns...that's 15x4x10 or 600 damage/6 mana = 100 damage per mana. In most fights it won't be this efficient because things won't last 10 turns, but TRJ and his summons are exception that probably will last a long time.

It's really efficient. These numbers are of course ballparking, I don't know the actual damage formulas, but hey. You should probably train up some decent melee on casters as well, I find putting things in freezing cloud and then hitting them with a weapon to be a really strong caster build. And one that basically never runs out of mana. You can of course follow up with bolt of cold, iron shot, or any other spell that doesn't break the cloud if you really want to avoid lifting a weapon.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 10th October 2016, 23:50

I like the ?torment->?immolation->evocables (lamp of fire) strategy which should work for casters as well as melee dudes.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
Rast

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 07:29

Two shots of tornado in the open will kill TRJ and most/all of his splits; all you have to do is stay nearby not die. Mainly, that boils down to having a decent EV score, Deflect Missiles and knowing how to move in a Tornado to keep from being surrounded. (the main danger source with this approach is being sniped by Acid Blobs)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 17:18

WingedEspeon wrote:I like the ?torment->?immolation->evocables (lamp of fire) strategy which should work for casters as well as melee dudes.

The torment part of this is bad unless you have immunity or at least rN+++. Normal characters are better off wanding TRJ a few times to make jellies before reading immo. You can read immo again when the crowd of jellies gets huge. The game generates more of those scrolls than you are likely to use.

Haste first is good of course.

The TRJ fight is one of the funnest parts of the game for me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 17:26

Hilariously I used Gell's Gravitas in my last fight with TRJ as caster, I forgot to bring torment scroll so I attacked a bit in melee (I am enchanter with +11 lajatang), then read immolation scroll and Apocalypse. That wasn't enough to kill everyone so I read another immolation and then casted Gell's Gravitas as I didn't have any other direct damage spells (and sacrificed love).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 17:31

The question is: why did you have Gell's memorized in the first place? :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 17:34

Sprucery wrote:The question is: why did you have Gell's memorized in the first place? :)

I wanted to see how good it was and then I ignored it completely until TRJ fight

Code:
6491 | D:6      | Learned a level 3 spell: Gell's Gravitas

Gell's Gravitas   |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2

Just proves how useful it is to check inventory and spells in tricky situations ;)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
tasonir

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 22:16

FR: rename to Jelly's Gravitas
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice