1 handed mace and shield VS 2 handed mace

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 13:17

1 handed mace and shield VS 2 handed mace

For a pure Melee 3 rune is it better to keep the shield or go for a 2 handed mace instead?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 13:22

Re: 1 handed mace and shield VS 2 handed mace

It depends. Using or not a shield especially for a melee "build" it is consequential to having or not having a good 1 hander.

For all weapon categories, good 2 handers are usually much more common than 1 handers, so most of times the answer is "no, don't do that, is bad". E.g. for m&f, you may find a great mace even before Lair, and often getting one in orc. It is then very very very bad to use a suboptimal 1 hander like a flail or morningstar avoiding to spend all your ?EW on that great mace in hope to find a demon whip\eveningstar.

However, if your first ?acq\trog\oka\floor gift is a evening star\demon whip, then you have a good weapon for a 3 runes win, so it is reasonable to use a shield.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
CypherZel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 13:42

For what it's worth, I think you can get by fine with an enchanted up morningstar... but if a morningstar is your best 1H option, yeah, it's better to go 2H.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
CypherZel

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 13:55

Small addendum to what nago said: If you find a whip of electrocution then that often might be your best weapon choice for somewhat longer into the game than with other one-handers, increasing the chance to find a demon whip or evening star before you have fully committed to a 2-hander.

It also increases your chances to find a better 2-hander, though. So, unless you're a melee Ko or Ha, I'd just look at all my weapon options, once my early-game weapon runs out of steam and choose the most attractive option. Sometimes that might be a 1-hander with shield, but more often not.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

For this message the author Utis has received thanks:
CypherZel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 18:14

If you get lucky, and find an early eveningstar, it's pretty hard to justify not using it and a shield, as it's only 2 base damage less than a great mace.
I'm not so sure if a demon whip outclasses a great mace in the same way, but it is a perfectly good weapon.
But if you find an early great mace, and have some ea scrolls, or branding, it makes sense to just go with the great mace.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th July 2016, 23:34

As others have said, 1H+Shield is superior but only if you get a demon whip/eveningstar; to that end, I'd actually suggest a brief foray into Hell's Vestibule when you get that far, which is fairly safe since you can stair-dance, and the mob there will often drop a demon whip.

Until then, Dire Flail is pretty much your best bet - imo it's the best "common" weapon class in the game.
DEFE, KoBe, SEEE, DEEE, DsWn (15), OpTm, MuWz, GrEE, DsFE, NaTm, VSTm, DrFE

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 00:56

You should have committed to an endgame weapon long before Depths.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 2
nago, Utis

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 07:06

Yes this is exactly what I described before as bad. Don't wait up depths in the hope to get a good weapon.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure 1h + shield isn't superior to a 2h at all.
At most, they're are pretty much equivalent against most enemies. (I'm not considering sacred scourge in this)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice