Can you create artifacts in WizMode?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:04

Can you create artifacts in WizMode?

Trying to figure out if

the +10 dagger of Greed (weapon) {pierce, Str+8}

is better than

the +7 rapier "Zateph" {drain, Str+9 Dex-5}

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:14

Re: Can you create artifacts in WizMode?

dunno but anyway you can just modify your stats manually
note that fsim won't take into account the debuff the rapier would apply

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:17

Fair enough. That seemed like a lot of work if I wanted to try it against different monsters.

Didn't know that fsim didn't work for debuff though. That makes it less useful.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:19

how could it? it's like vamp or protection or anti-magic: you don't just spit out a number.
Drain reduces monster accuracy and spellpower, among other things, so you'll take less damage from them, but this debuff grows as you keep hitting it, and the beginning is important. Unless Fsim simulates a bunch of fights to the death, I don't see how it could crunch that number.
Last edited by HardboiledGargoyle on Sunday, 10th July 2016, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:29

It would tell you how much more damage you take incoming against a specific monster.

I assume that protection does work, and does that exact thing.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 02:56

Yeah, you can.. So, unrandarts are easy, you just hit &, o, the item type, and then type out the exact name, so far with weapons it's worked for me at least.

But randarts are a pain in the butt.. First you spawn a base item type, then you do &, +, and select the item, to turn it into an artifact.. Then you hit &, t, and select the randart you just created, and go into 'tweak' mode, where you get to select flags for the randart.. As far as I know you can't change the flavor text of the randart, but you can set it up as any randart as far as enchantment and flags go (called 'art props' in the little tweak menu).

FSim is the best way to get good numbers because each time it runs the test numerous times.. Problem with it is, though, I'm not sure if it takes into account drain, or certain other effects. Spawning monsters manually works, but crawl rolls vary so highly you'd have to do a lot of tests that way to get solid numbers imo, not really worth it. (But it very well might take drain into account, not sure).
Last edited by Dracunos on Sunday, 10th July 2016, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Dracunos has received thanks:
Reptisaurus

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 04:53

I suspect that drain might not have been accounted for because the dagger was significantly better against a yak and an adder, not counting the dex penalty. I figured it would be closer than it was.

(I only had a short blades skill of 8, though.)

Is there any list of flags? It took me a lot of guessing just to change my artifact dagger to "vorpal." (I think it was flag # 11.)

ldf

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 11:19

Dracunos wrote:But unrandarts are a pain in the butt..

You can create all unrandarts at once with &|

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 17:24

Reptisaurus wrote:I suspect that drain might not have been accounted for because the dagger was significantly better against a yak and an adder, not counting the dex penalty. I figured it would be closer than it was.

(I only had a short blades skill of 8, though.)

Is there any list of flags? It took me a lot of guessing just to change my artifact dagger to "vorpal." (I think it was flag # 11.)

The low skill is a big contributor to that. Attack speed is a huge determiner of damage, and if you don't have enough skill for mindelay the lower-skill weapon will often out-perform the heavier, slower options.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th July 2016, 17:45

ldf wrote:
Dracunos wrote:But unrandarts are a pain in the butt..

You can create all unrandarts at once with &|

Cool thanks.

Also, typo, meant that for randarts. Fixed now.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice