Abyss and Holy

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 15:06

Abyss and Holy

Are abyss monsters weak to holy? I did not notice any convulse when I was using a eudemon blade there. Is it better to use vampiric there?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 15:15

Re: Abyss and Holy

It deals extra damage to undead and demons only.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 15:27

Allow me to apologies for peeing a bit pedantic. The answer depends on what you mean by 'abyss monster'.

If you mean 'any monster that can spawn in the abyss', then the answer is: some are weak to holy. The abyss features many undead and demonic monsters.

If you mean 'monster that can only spawn in the abyss', then the answer is: no, except apocalypse crabs.

If you mean 'chaotic monsters', then the answer is also: no, except apocalypse crabs (weird). Chaotic monsters are instead vulnerable to silver.

The abyss also features enemies that are neither vulnerable to holy, or to silver. That includes many humanoids and stuff like starcursed masses.

The best strategy is probably to carry multiple good weapons and use the most appropriate one. Use your eudemon blade on undead and demons. Use something different on other monsters. If you like vamp, use it on living creatures. (I don't really like vamp, because it does no bonus damage. But many people rate it highly.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 20:00

As I think about it, it's strange that Starcursed Mass and Tentacled Monstrosity are not chaotic. Especially Starcursed Mass, since it has no overlap with demonic, and is definitely very "weird".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 22:05

Kind of surprisingly, the same is also true for thrashing horrors, lurking horrors, spatial maelstroms, ancient zymes and tentacled starspawns.

But then, if they were vulnerable to silver it would hardly make a difference, since silver damage is really quite rare.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 3rd July 2016, 00:09

FR: remove silver damage. it's spoilery and really rare.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd July 2016, 01:11

ydeve wrote:FR: remove silver damage. it's spoilery and really rare.

Silver damage is just as spoilery as fire vulnerability what are you talking about

Rare I'll concede.

e: enemy-on-player silver damage is spoilery; that should be changed/removed.
take it easy

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 3rd July 2016, 08:06

The solution is to Abyss is Axes! or stealth and speed. or level 9 spells all day. and lich form.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 3rd July 2016, 10:06

Enemy silver vulnerability is not spoilery, because it is actually listed in the descriptions. I grant that it doesn't completely follow obvious rules, and it is fairly rare.

Player vulnerability, well. It should be added to descriptions or removed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd July 2016, 18:51

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:

Enemy silver vulnerability is not spoilery, because it is actually listed in the descriptions.
You still need a spoiler to know how much damage it actually adds.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 3rd July 2016, 21:15

I suppose in that case everything that happens without numerical feedback is spoilery. It's not an unreasonable argument, but it makes the word 'spoilery' very broad.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 4th July 2016, 02:19

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I suppose in that case everything that happens without numerical feedback is spoilery. It's not an unreasonable argument, but it makes the word 'spoilery' very broad.

I think the fact that it does a different amount of damage than the other comparable vulnerabilities is the spoilery part.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th July 2016, 08:01

I see your point.

The monster descriptions do make a distinction between silver ('is vulnerable to') and fire/cold/poison ('is susceptible to'). Of course that's a pretty subtle difference for a rather large difference.

Holy vulnerability isn't mentioned on monsters, but the holy brand description says it 'causes great damage to the undead and demons'. That seems reasonable and it's mostly possible to figure out if something is undead or demonic because it says so in the individual monster descriptions.

Perhaps silver should be changed to 'takes great damage from silver' or something along those lines.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice