Gozag for Casters?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 13:48

Gozag for Casters?

I've been wondering whether Gozag might be a good god for spellcasters. I've only played one game with Gozag that got anywhere, a SpEn way back when Gozag was brand new. Here are a few questions that come to mind; please feel free to mention other aspects of the topic I've not thought of.

• Does Potion Petition frequently give options that are good for spellcasting, or is it more melee-oriented?
  • How do Gozag's books shops compare with Sif gifts when it comes to finding a particular spell that you want?
  • Is spell hunger ever an issue? I figure with a little bit more investment in Spellcasting, food shops wouldn't need to be called often if at all.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 05:58

Re: Gozag for Casters?

If you're a Spriggan with decent Spellcasting (or a munmy, I guess) food should be a non-Issue.

Gozag shops offer a wide range each time, where Sif can take forever to give you what you're looking for. Best of all, Gozag can give you other stuff besides just books - even a pure caster can benefit from armor, jewelry and consumable shops. It's still down to luck but if you're looking for a particular spell, I think it's at least even money Gozag will give it to you first. Also. Gozag doesn't care how you allocate your skills in the meantime.

I *think* potion petition effects are random from all positive potions sans experience... So I guess a bit of hybridization would be optimal for getting the most out of the petitions. Still, you get sets to choose from, and it's unlikely you'll get 3 that do nothing at all for you. Remember, agility gives a very nice EV buff.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 12:28

I found caster of Xom more enjoyable (don't confuse with power) than caster of Gozag. That's all you need to know about casters of Gozag.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 13:20

My first win was with a SpEn of Gozag. Bribe branch is good for anyone, at least before extended.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 13:27

I know Sp and Gozag go together, because Sp was designed before Gozag existed to not use corpses as a resource (save necromancy, which they have second worst apt in anyway), and then here comes a god that turns corpses into the only resource that god uses. I'm more interested in how Gozag works for non-Sp races, but I should have made that clear in the OP.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 06:42

A little extra spellcasting and you should be fine. Amalloy has some videos of a TeSu of Gozag, in which he shows that even paying less attention than you really should to it is fine.

If you are trying to be a more pure spellcaster, then you will want a more focused god.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice