Is it safe to search for a portal out as an Abyssal Knight?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 13:55

Is it safe to search for a portal out as an Abyssal Knight?

In my AK experience, i've never been punished for trying to look for a portal but i definitely had to escape from a starcursed mass with an invocation. Now i'm playing a FeAK which escaped the Abyss on turn 1 (didn't want to ruin my streak at all costs) and suffered from the lack of piety early on. So i'd like to know the answer to my question in retrospect: is it possible to die to an abyssal monster at XL 1 as soon as you see it?
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 15:03

Re: Is it safe to search for a portal out as an Abyssal Knig

Yes, it is definitely possible. There are plenty of enemies in the abyss that have ranged attacks which can be instantly lethal. In my own experience trying the abyss challenge it's quite rare for a SpAK to be instantly murdered. Should be similar for FeAK. Still, for a streak I wouldn't risk it.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
ZoFy

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 15:19

Yeah it can be possible depending on what it is. Normal play I always search for a way out. For a streak, just use the piety and be safe.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 16:18

I think I've gotten an AK start killed by Wretched Star's IMB on the same turn it entered LOS.

Also, Escape Abyss has like 6% fail initially.

Leaving immediately is probably best if you're working on a streak. Otherwise, I guess that searching for an exit and Escaping at the first sign of danger probably has less than a 10% chance to die.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 2
Leszczynek, ZoFy

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 18:15

I'd say significantly less than 10%, since there's a portal near the start. Sometimes walls and abyss shifting make it hard to find.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 03:18

If you enjoy fun and playing crawl it is optimal to exit immediately and save yourself the trouble of crabwalking through the abyss sifting through hand axes and piles of stones, even if you miss a little piety
take it easy

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 08:22

I have died looting the Abyss several hundred times, but I think it was worth it for the few times I got to kill a Eye of draining (makes you level 3 immediately) or finding a good magical item or some extra gold and scrolls. That is all loot you would not otherwise get and you can still use your ability to bail out. I think I read somewhere though that the treasure of the Abyss level when you start there is the same as on Dungeon level 1.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 21:38

I've come across a couple randarts as a xxAK from looting, and have always been able to invoc out of there when I see trouble in LoS, so I personally think its pretty darn safe as long as you don't get cocky.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 22:00

My intention never was looting the Abyss but just saving some piety. My original question got answered and, even though i'd like to make it impossible for a level 1 AK to die in one turn, the game tells you to use the invocation to get out right at start of the game. So it's not like the player isn't warned.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice