Demise Talks Crawl: Strats, Tips, Theories

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 16:42

Demise Talks Crawl: Strats, Tips, Theories

This guy has started a new video series, good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x4J_UBj9_I

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
andreas, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 18:19

Re: Demise Talks Crawl: Strats, Tips, Theories

Well, I am not sure I can agree. His main point is something like "If you are not winning often, you don't have a playstyle, stop calling what you are doing a "playstyle" and work on your tactics instead." Why? My "playstyles" are using autoexplore, training several skills after early game, going for some spells just for fun, switching weapon categories for unrandarts, worshiping first god I find. Does it mean those would not be playstyles if I lost games because of them?

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 20:07

@Sandman25:

I think his stronger point is that people use the "playstyle" concept to justify not improving, and in particular to ignore the weakness in their grasp of fundamental tactics. There's not necessarily any problem with having a "style" that lowers your winrate---it's a game, play how you like---but it's foolish not to realize what you're doing. I hear demise warning players not to deceive themselves about their deaths by falling back on excuses like "it's just my playstyle."

(He does talk a bit about what literally counts as a playstyle, but I don't think it's the central point or what he's really trying to get across. I agree with you that his trying to legislate the boundaries of the definition of "playstyle" is not the most convincing thing.)

I don't think the advice was really directed at you, Sandman. You're an exceptionally good player already, and demise is talking about the psychological blocks that hold people back. Just like any skilled endeavor, really, people are slow to admit their weaknesses and that makes it hard to improve.

For this message the author andreas has received thanks: 3
Rast, Sandman25, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 21:18

Yes, I agree, making excuses for poor play is bad, it's like lie to yourself, at least when player really wants to win and not just "see how much I can achieve without using any weapon/evocables".

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 07:33

In a game where it's one vs. many, the name of the game is to control how many monsters are allowed to attack you. Or even notice you for that matter.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 08:24

That video just made me want to look for my Demise-Rise of Ku'Tan CD.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 08:49

"I'm not saying your way of playing is bad, but play in the way I consider the best or I'll make a 15 minutes video displaying my superiority over you."

What's even the point? Just have fun with the game. Then he goes on making a lot of valid points later but the overall tone of the lengthy introduction is stupid.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, ZoFy

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 10:48

There's a widespread phenomenon where you can skip the first chunk of any youtube video. Someone named it, and others have even made browser addons that automatically skip the appropriate amount of the video's intro.

Though this is an especially bogus preamble in a medium filled with bogus preambles!
remove handsome distillation

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:14

Demise seems like a decent player, but some of the advice is a bit odd.

In his second video he recommends to combine strong races (Mi, Gr and Ds) with strong backgrounds (Fi, Gl, Be and Mo). The idea is good, but the choices are questionable.

Mo is a very weak background, especially without claws. Fi is decidedly average. I'd also argue that Ce and DD are significantly stronger than Ds.

As for the god recommendations, I'm not sold on Gozag as top tier, and of course Fedhas is missing.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:15

Spoiler: show

Demise is just like duvessa except one is a greatminotaur and the other is a greatmummy.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:19

Ds was recommended by Demise for fun factors, not because of its power.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
andreas

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:20

who?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:30

Demise was one of the top scorers in the last tournament and has one of the fastest non-bot realtime wins...

I think his choice of best species, backgrounds, and to a lesser extent gods is a bit idiosyncratic, but frankly it's better than some of the advice you see around here, for example people who think Vehumet is good, DE is good, VM is good, etc. He's also got a lot of people's number on the "playstyle" thing too.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:31

Sar wrote:who?

The new leader of China.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:41

goodcoolguy wrote:people who think Vehumet is good

Guilty as charged!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 12:54

goodcoolguy (nice nick by the way, I should have called myself "NotStubbornFsimUnawareWoman") cannot see my messages but could anyone else tell me what is wrong with DEFE of Vehumet? It's my default for easy caster, what am I doing wrong provided "for example people who think Vehumet is good, DE is good"?
Last edited by Sandman25 on Monday, 27th June 2016, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 13:06

Well, some people think only strong melee characters with strong early game gods are 'good'. What are you gonna do?

I guess the traditional line of thinking is this: DEFE is DE. DE has -20% HP and -2 fighting. They really are quite fragile. You miscast or miss a couple of spells against an adder and you're (probably) dead. Veh doesn't help here. FE isn't great against adders before conjure flame. Often stealth will save you instead.

In my view, once you're over that hurdle, i.e. you can murder or avoid adders and jackals sufficiently casually, DEFE is fine. Conjure flame will take care of that not too long after hitting xl 3. It will also take care of the midgame. And then Vehumet is gonna hand over whatever is needed for the endgame. I guess I agree with you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 13:34

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Well, some people think only strong melee characters with strong early game gods are 'good'. What are you gonna do?

I am gonna tell them "git gud". If player thinks DE caster is not good, the player is bad with casters and should learn to play them.

Consider a god who would give you an extra life and did nothing else. Would that be a good god for caster? Yes, for bad players who don't recognize dangerous situations and don't play carefully (restore MP, split packs, lure dangerous things, train defenses/weapon etc.) for whatever reason.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Monday, 27th June 2016, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 14:04

Sandman25 wrote:what is wrong with DEFE of Vehumet? It's my default for easy caster

What is your definition of "caster" in this sentence? I recall vaguely that it is something that makes sense but not what you might expect.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 15:40

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Mo is a very weak background, especially without claws. Fi is decidedly average. I'd also argue that Ce and DD are significantly stronger than Ds.

On this point I considered throwing in Mo because I assumed by the time the video got any traction it'd be changed, as I believe it provides a weapon in trunk now. Letting someone be able to pick their god and not have to go through the pain of having 0 piety on gods like Okawaru was the idea behind its recommendation.

Fighter is pretty good because of the early might potion, early shield and second-tier starting weapon. An early scale mail is pretty good as well for a guy who wants to fight stuff, compared to, say, leather armour. Comparing this to Gladiator, I feel like there'd be a temptation to train throwing because of the nets (which are kind of RNG-ish and slightly less straightforward to use) which I would have to mention, which would then force me to talk about Gl more which I didn't want to do.

Ce comes with the problem of tedium, since your best strategy is always "play polearms and kite", which makes the game more fiddly and frustrating to play. DD was initially on the recommendations list, but I replaced it with Gargoyle because DD makes the game different compared to the other recommended species which I felt would be, again, unnecessarily fiddly. I basically wanted to pick races that weren't too gimmicky so players wouldn't have to worry about things other than the raw "crawl experience": Skilling, positioning and evaluating items.

For this message the author Demise has received thanks: 2
Leszczynek, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 15:42

Magipi wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:what is wrong with DEFE of Vehumet? It's my default for easy caster

What is your definition of "caster" in this sentence? I recall vaguely that it is something that makes sense but not what you might expect.

Easy caster is a character who cannot die while still using spells to kill monsters (the latter to exclude combos like TrWz who is NOT a caster, at least on D1).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice