Should I always use arrow keys or should I use 'o' to crawl

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 14:17

Should I always use arrow keys or should I use 'o' to crawl

I'm very new to playing optimally and I'm just wondering what good players do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 14:42

Re: Should I always use arrow keys or should I use 'o' to cr

I am not a good player, but I tend to always use 'o' when it is safe enough, 'arrows' otherwise.

The advantage of using arrow or rather "shift+arrow" is that it allows you to explore, in concentric circles around the upstairs, so it is easier to escape.

Using 'o' you can find yourself at the other side of the level against a faster monster. This is particularly true at the beginning when you don't have identified Blink or Teleport.

For example there are often difficulty spike when you enter a new branch, it is better to test the water by playing the first level in arrows, and seeing how quickly you can deal with the opposition you can switch back to 'o'.

The problem of always using arrows is that it is getting tedious quickly.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 14:50

Haha yea, my games got so much more longer because I was experimenting with arrows only, felt like I spent most of my time in dungeon 3 where I could have been hitting lair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 14:50

Instead of 'arrow keys', I use the vi keys (i.e. "hjklyubn"), optionally with Shift to "keep moving like 'o' but only in one direction".

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 15:13

Psieye wrote:Instead of 'arrow keys', I use the vi keys (i.e. "hjklyubn"), optionally with Shift to "keep moving like 'o' but only in one direction".

Ah yes actually I am using the vi key as well.

Another point is to use Ctrl+G to move quickly between level.

Do not hesitate to use explore mode as well to move to the next up/downstairs.

Shift+X then cycle stairs with > or <.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 15:26

Strictly speaking, you should use arrow keys, i.e. explore manually. Autoexplore often dumps you into awkward positions that would never happen if you were exploring carefully. It's important to remember though that optimal play is not actually fun and you will only impress middling players by doing it. This puts you in a bit of a bind: Do you use 'o' to remove part of the tedium of the game or do you submit to the demands of optimal play?

As a practical matter, the danger of 'o' decreases as your character develops, so a reasonable compromise position is to manually explore d:1 and as many of the levels d:2 through lair as you feel you need not to die. Sometimes you'll be able to get away with a lot more autoexplore. This is a sign of some combination of a good combo, good item spawns, and sound character building. Of course, some combos you can start autoexploring right away without fear, e.g. any troll or almost any berserker. Experience will tell you where the right compromise lies for you, though the fact is you will die a bit more using autoexplore instead of the old fashioned way.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 2
duvessa, stoneychips

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 15:32

I use autoexplore almost constantly. Exceptions (in a 3-rune game including Elf and Crypt) are most portal vaults and V:5. On the bottom level of Lair rune branches and Elf, I autoexplore until I find the end vault, then place an exception there and continue autoexploring until there's only the end vault left.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 17:59

Don't use the arrow keys at all; use the num-pad or the vi-keys so that you can move diagonally.
take it easy

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 18:25

The cost of exploring manually on your sanity is not worth it unless you're speedrunning or already insane. Use autoexplore, even on D1.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 5
Gramm, reosarevok, Sandman25, Sar, Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 19:45

WRT controls-I have no numpad on my laptop, and my controls are set up like this:
since movement in like every other keyboard game that isn't from the 90s is WASD, my movement is those keys+the keys around them for the other directions. I've found this layout very comfortable and quick though it seems a lot different than what most people use.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 22:54

Shard1697 wrote:WRT controls-I have no numpad on my laptop, and my controls are set up like this:
since movement in like every other keyboard game that isn't from the 90s is WASD, my movement is those keys+the keys around them for the other directions. I've found this layout very comfortable and quick though it seems a lot different than what most people use.

Man, what do you do with your right hand while your left hand plays the game?

On second thought, I don't want to know, nevermind.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 23:35

I love your keyboard views, is there a standard key layout that shows where they keys are for a default setup? I am always wondering which keys I can use for macros.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 23:37

sage1234 wrote:is there a standard key layout that shows where they keys are for a default setup? I am always wondering which keys I can use for macros.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18978

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks:
sage1234

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 23:39

ydeve wrote:
sage1234 wrote:is there a standard key layout that shows where they keys are for a default setup? I am always wondering which keys I can use for macros.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18978

Printing it now, you rock!

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 01:14

Seren mostly covered it. In addition, I use shift-arrow to move around if I think auto-explore is likely to go somewhere stupid (towards a monster I just escaped, for example). You can often predict that because it does a distance-sorted search for unexplored tiles.

You can also use exclusions for this purpose, but I find it fiddly in this case.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 04:58

I always use O. to lazy to customize. I find auto-explore keeps the game fun and dangerous. In wide open areas i'm more likely to move manually.

I also find attacking with directional keys more fun than cntrl-i. holding cntrl-i down while fighting tends to make me miss a lot and die. Food for thought.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 12:50

I use a numberpad for movement, but Shift-move doesn't work with these keys. Is there a setting that will enable this?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 14:46

^ works for me (in tiles. Not in console). Not an option, as far as I know.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice