Bloodless Vampires

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 06:16

Bloodless Vampires

So I started a Vampire Enchanter tonight, and I just got a book of battle, which excited me greatly because of the Regeneration spell, as I thought I could use it while Bloodless to regenerate, but apparently I just get the message "Your skin crawls" and a regen icon appears, but it is dulled out. Does regeneration no longer work when bloodless? I could have sworn I saw some people on youtube do it...

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 06:21

Re: Bloodless Vampires

Most people on the tavern would tell you that being bloodless is a bad idea because being alive gives you a huge boost to regen and its much more useful than the resists that bloodless gives you in the early game.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 06:49

Thanks for the advice but that doesn't answer my question.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 06:59

Regen doesn't work when bloodless, it never did. It does work when near bloodless, you can use it to heal if you want to stay at low blood levels.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 07:07

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 07:08

Rokirem wrote:Thanks for the advice but that doesn't answer my question.

Its never worked as bloodless.

Sorry, I guess I missed the last part. To be fair, I made the same mistake when I first started playing vampires.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 11:44

A way to understand it is that the Regeneration spell increase by 100% your base regen that is 0 when bloodless, adding 100% of 0, it is still 0.

Be also careful that sublimation of blood is also limited, you must be at least full to use it IIRC.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 11:55

Tiktacy wrote:Most people on the tavern would tell you that being bloodless is a bad idea because being alive gives you a huge boost to regen and its much more useful than the resists that bloodless gives you in the early game.

Regen is surely better than having rN and can substitute for rPois but what about bat form?
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st June 2016, 12:40

This is VpEn, not VpGl with battleaxe in CPA. I am playing VpEn at the moment too and I found that I prefer to stay in bloodless form since it maximizes my stealth, gives the best resists and I still get to near bloodless and above when I stab something which has blood. As I am with Sif Muna, it is one more reason to stay bloodless as mana channeling is quite expensive hunger-wise.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 17:45

ZoFy wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:Most people on the tavern would tell you that being bloodless is a bad idea because being alive gives you a huge boost to regen and its much more useful than the resists that bloodless gives you in the early game.

Regen is surely better than having rN and can substitute for rPois but what about bat form?

Yeah, this is the part I struggle with and probably why vampires are written off as "fiddly". Also consider Sublimation of Blood, an incredibly useful spell that Vampires can only cast when Full or above.

All I've been able to figure is that the regen + Sublimation is worth it later in the game when you end up against more range-y and spell casters against which bat form is a less viable escape method. Early on, I prefer staying at lower satiation to have bat form to run away from ogres, gnolls, etc.

I have a VpIE going right now and given my set of spells - Ice Beasts, Regeneration, Sublimation of Blood - it's more worth it to me to stay full.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 22nd June 2016, 19:28

hermbot wrote:Yeah, this is the part I struggle with and probably why vampires are written off as "fiddly".

Vampires are fiddly because they have a whole in-game table to explain their hunger states, each of which is slightly different, and the only way to manage them is by filling up an opaque and leaky meter.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Shard1697

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice