Repel Missiles vs Deflect Missiles?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 15:48

Repel Missiles vs Deflect Missiles?

Why is deflect missiles considered better? It is slightly better at reducing the to hit of bolts (0 to 66% vs 0 to 50%), but is much worse at reducing the to hit of beams (0 to 50% rather than 0 to 100%), costs more mana, and requires much more investment in air and charms.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 15:56

Re: Repel Missiles vs Deflect Missiles?

http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=repel+missiles wrote:A level 2 Charms/Air spell that helps you dodge enemy ranged attacks (by reducing their to-hit roll (for evasion purposes only) *TO* a random amount between: 50% and 100% for penetrating beams, 0% and 100% for single-target missiles).

http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=deflect+missiles wrote:A level 6 Charms/Air spell that helps you dodge enemy ranged attacks (by reducing their to-hit roll (for evasion purposes only) *TO* a random amount between: 0% and 66% for penetrating beams, 0% and 50% for single-target missiles).

Notice the "TO". rMsl would reduce to-hit roll of beams to 75% and missiles to 50% on average, while for DMsl the average numbers are 33% and 25%. That's approximately cutting those rolls in half compared to rMsl (once again, on average).
DMsl is surely amazing for characters who can afford it (unfortunately, most of them can't these days).
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 16:45

The thing about RMsl and DMsl is your success rate doesn't actually matter because you can just take off your armour, put on wizardry/int, and cast them out of combat. So they don't require investment to use; there's nothing to "afford" other than spell levels (although spell power does make them better).

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 17:05

Getting DMsl to a positive success rate with just gear (reasonable gear, not triple wizardry) and no skill investment sounds impossible. And human players would not bother playing that optimally for such a tiny advantage.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

For this message the author ZoFy has received thanks:
Sar

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 17:43

Recasting in combat is pretty useful too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 19:16

ZoFy wrote:Getting DMsl to a positive success rate with just gear (reasonable gear, not triple wizardry) and no skill investment sounds impossible. And human players would not bother playing that optimally for such a tiny advantage.

Um I've literally learned dmsl (or at least rmsl) with almost no investment in charms/air before and taken off my armour to cast it. I'm pretty sure I've done this in more than one game.

Like, this isn't even one of the things I complain about that are optimal but tedious but actually not done; this one is something I do. It's really easy, since casting at like 60% fail is fine; the miscasts are not important.

---

Recasting in combat is less useful than it sounds since either you're in a position where you can go hide behind a wall (and then why do you need rmsl?) or you are losing a turn to recast it, so it needs to prevent more than one ranged attack in the remainder of the combat to be good.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 19:44

I believe it is not beneficial. With low spell power RMsl is almost useless (it will be expired in a few attacks) and you can die if some nasty monsters comes into view while you are without body armour. In my last game I trained Charms/Air/Spellcasting for RMsl only to ### despite it was castable long time ago.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice