Number of Orbs of fire?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:03

Number of Orbs of fire?

The number of them varies greatly between game to game. Last game, there were 4, this game, there were 7. They gave me all sorts of horrible mutations, and I ran out of potions of cure mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:28

Re: Number of Orbs of fire?

Yeah, sometimes you see 2, sometimes 10. Just remember that you don't have to clear Zot levels or kill all monsters. Your goal is just to get the Orb and leave.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:37

Also, only drink !curemut when the mutation is actually pretty terrible. Stat reduction mutations and such aren't worth wasting the potion. Later you'll get berserkitis and will be sorry.[b][/b]

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:41

I drank the potions to cure things such as berserkitis and deterioration.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:47

I find antimagic brand weapons turn orbs into a puddle as well as every other spell castor in this game. As for the exact rng of orbs idk.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:49

Such are the down sides of playing a character that cannot kill orbs of fire before they mutate you.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 18:50

On the plus side, the game is almost over, so the really bad mutations don't have as long to mess you up.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 19:42

If you have even one scroll of blinking I honestly recommend just not fighting anything in zot:5 unless you are a formicid or worshipping chei. It's just so easy to teleport + blink to the orb these days.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 20:40

I do not really get this tactic. I guess you teleport till you are close to the orb and then blink to it... But you cannot control teleport, you can easily land between three orbs of fire and an ancient lich, and even if you teleport again you may simply end up in a bad place again. What am I missing?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 20:58

That you're fast, agile, resistant and with endgame defenses, so these aren't going to hurt you for these 4 turns they have. Also you don't have to be conservative on healing, as it's the end of the game.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 21:37

Teleports are now delayed after picking up the orb, even if the teleport was activated before picking up the orb.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2016, 22:00

sanka wrote:I do not really get this tactic. I guess you teleport till you are close to the orb and then blink to it... But you cannot control teleport, you can easily land between three orbs of fire and an ancient lich, and even if you teleport again you may simply end up in a bad place again. What am I missing?

You're missing that it takes you a really long time to die, except to berserk orb guardians. Orbs of fire are actually mostly harmless when teleninjaing the orb.

The only monsters that scare most ninja attempts are moths of wrath, ghost moths, or curse toes (but curse toes are exceptionally rare in hall_of_zot itself). Orb guardians are dangerous but if you're smart around them you're ok unless they're berserk.

Teleports are now delayed after picking up the orb, even if the teleport was activated before picking up the orb.

Ok, 2 blink scrolls then!

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
sanka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 09:05

I think I play too many mummies, and forgot that you can simply quaff a potion of resistance...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 11:26

crate wrote:
sanka wrote:I do not really get this tactic. I guess you teleport till you are close to the orb and then blink to it... But you cannot control teleport, you can easily land between three orbs of fire and an ancient lich, and even if you teleport again you may simply end up in a bad place again. What am I missing?

You're missing that it takes you a really long time to die, except to berserk orb guardians. Orbs of fire are actually mostly harmless when teleninjaing the orb.

The only monsters that scare most ninja attempts are moths of wrath, ghost moths, or curse toes (but curse toes are exceptionally rare in hall_of_zot itself). Orb guardians are dangerous but if you're smart around them you're ok unless they're berserk.

Ok, 2 blink scrolls then!

Well, the second blink will be uncontrolled, as I understand that's what the orb does these days.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 13:21

Uncontrolled is fine, you just need to blink out of the middle of the 10 orb guardians you are currently standing in the middle of.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 15:04

In that case a single scroll is fine, because there are other sources of +blink available in most games.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 16th June 2016, 15:55

Wahaha wrote:Teleports are now delayed after picking up the orb, even if the teleport was activated before picking up the orb.

Yes, but I the question I was answering referred to intermediate landings, or so I believe. After actually picking up the orb random blink to some corner, read fog and use healing if ever close to necessary. Fear may also work on the orb guardians, though that won't do much in general.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice