Ghosts

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 17:50

Ghosts

Just died again to a ghost. Too early in the dungeon for me to have an escape option. I was playing a DDEE against a DrIE so I figured I could fight it in a 1 one 1 fight. I used my 17 MP (ring of magical power) to chuck 17 blasts of stoneblast at it, which knocked it to around 60% health. From there I had nothing. I had a wand of heal wounds obviously but I was going through it like mad. There were several blasts of frost each of which did ~16 damage and were hurled at me from a distance so I don't want to hear any lip about this ghost not being dangerous. On top of that a magical class on D:3 was somehow very proficient with their weapon and chopped me apart at close range.

I'm sorry I don't know the most efficient way to play this game, but this isn't fair and this feature should at least be toggleable. Let the people who want to play with ghosts play with ghosts. Let those who don't turn them off. It is extremely, extremely rare that I come across a ghost I can beat in a 1 on 1 without judicious use of consumables, which I did not have (outside of HW, which admittingly I did not exhaust before I just went 'fuck it' and suicided). Ghosts are just too powerful, being stronger than both Sigmund and Grinder and only less deadly because they can't confuse you. Make them weaker if they must be in the game. Give them penalties to AC and EV, reduce their skills, just... do SOMETHING. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Mod edit: "I died and it's not fair" tangent split from GDD.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 18:05

Re: Let us turn off ghost generation.

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Too early in the dungeon for me to have an escape option. I was playing a DDEE against a DrIE

Sorry for your loss but you should have just used the stairs (that's the escape option).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
Rast, Sandman25, ZoFy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 18:37

Let us turn off ghost generation.

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Just died again to a ghost. Too early in the dungeon for me to have an escape option. I was playing a DDEE against a DrIE so I figured I could fight it in a 1 one 1 fight. I used my 17 MP (ring of magical power) to chuck 17 blasts of stoneblast at it, which knocked it to around 60% health. From there I had nothing. I had a wand of heal wounds obviously but I was going through it like mad. There were several blasts of frost each of which did ~16 damage and were hurled at me from a distance so I don't want to hear any lip about this ghost not being dangerous. On top of that a magical class on D:3 was somehow very proficient with their weapon and chopped me apart at close range.

I'm sorry I don't know the most efficient way to play this game, but this isn't fair and this feature should at least be toggleable. Let the people who want to play with ghosts play with ghosts. Let those who don't turn them off. It is extremely, extremely rare that I come across a ghost I can beat in a 1 on 1 without judicious use of consumables, which I did not have (outside of HW, which admittingly I did not exhaust before I just went 'fuck it' and suicided). Ghosts are just too powerful, being stronger than both Sigmund and Grinder and only less deadly because they can't confuse you. Make them weaker if they must be in the game. Give them penalties to AC and EV, reduce their skills, just... do SOMETHING. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Mod edit: "I died and it's not fair" tangent split from GDD.

Well, you did have at least 17 chances to decide 'hmm, this isnt working, let me walk away' and since it is the same speed as you, and you had a wand of heal wounds, it would be fairly easy to just find a staircase and walk up it, and highly unlikely to kill you.

Ghosts do have problems, but your example doest point one out.

Walk away is an escape option you have at d1 for most situations.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 20:59

Re: Ghosts

I actually escaped down the staircase to avoid trouble from earlier, so that wasn't an option.

Even then, why must I have to continuously walk up and down stairs just to circumvent an enemy that is always generated awake and constantly gets in my way. Is there a way to cheese ghosts? Dispel Undead is a level 4 spell.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 21:12

Yes, the way to cheese ghosts is to continue on and come back five XLs later.

You won't miss out on anything, because the overview screen will automatically remind you about levels that have ghosts or uniques on them.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 22:25

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Even then, why must I have to continuously walk up and down stairs just to circumvent an enemy

Because devs find it fun (and don't use autoexplore I guess, autoexplore can kill you easily because long path to stairs can be blocked and you barely started exploring the level).

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2016, 22:39

They are toggleable, you just have to work at it.

I guess I'd be fine with a "No ghost" option as long as it's called "Does uzzums need his bwankie? Does uzzums need her widdle boddle?" mode.

(I really like ghosts, and I'd like to see religious/ranged combat ghosts get a substantial buff.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 18th June 2016, 00:36

Reptisaurus wrote:They are toggleable, you just have to work at it.
It's not really a "toggle" if you have to do more than toggle a yes/no option.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice