Hunter

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 21:41

Hunter

Hey all, while i am playing wizard only lately, i want to try out something else as well. I like the concept of a kiter, and range attacks, so i guess the hunter is the obvious choice in this one.

Do they really play like a hunter in this game? Cause it is hard to outrun enemies i reckon, unless you go for Spriggan race. Not sure how this would play out with for example a mountain dwarf. Haste and or levitate might help ofcourse, but those won't be available all the time i guess.

Anyway, I had these combo's in mind:
- MD with xbow: go pure str, nice damage
- Halfling with sling: pure dex? or str?
- Spriggan with bow: pure dex? they can run fast
- Centaur: do they get speed bonus?

Which one would be most suitable for a beginner hunter?

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 22:57

Re: Hunter

Don't forget Kobold Hunter with xBow. They have a very easy start due to xBow being very powerful initially, and being able to stuff corpses down their throats. You don't need to worry much about running, actually, since as long as you pay attention, everything dies before it touches you. Just hope the Dungeon gives you replacement x-bow bolts, as you will run out!

I also personally like Merfolk Hunter simply because I love Javelins, but they die often.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 22:06

High Elf Hunters +3 Bow apt.
Can also train a few points in Short blades and cross train Long blades later when available.
Overall High Elfs have very good Hunter aptitudes. Or start as an Air Elementalist to make sure you get swift.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 22:27

Centaurs are probably the best Hunter race. You just have to come to terms with the terrible food clock. This isnt inarguable though; they have bad defenses in comparison to the other suggested Hunter races.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 22:35

I've found Ogre hunters work well.

Kobolds and crossbows might not work well. Kobolds tend to like shields because because they can't use big two-handed weapons. I'm not sure if a KoHu can even get to min xbow delay without a +Str item. Since you probably want to pump int or perhaps dex with Trog, the xbow might be tough. Actually, I haven't found any build that don't use heavy armour or aren't DDs that work better with xbows than another ranged option. In any case, Kobolds love slings.

I've rarely had a problem with Centaur's food clock, although it seems scary at first. But yes they have bad bad defenses. Centaurs should run away a lot (like those tanjing Puppeteers -- power to you if you get the reference!)

Ranged combat works better after you have ammo, so choosing some other background and then switching to rely on ranged during/after lair is often easier than starting with ranged only. Of course, if you're up for a challenge....

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 30th June 2012, 00:32

Deimos wrote:Centaurs are probably the best Hunter race. You just have to come to terms with the terrible food clock. This isnt inarguable though; they have bad defenses in comparison to the other suggested Hunter races.

fast movement 2, the worst defense

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 30th June 2012, 14:11

Unfortunately they lacked rAxing

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th June 2012, 14:32

Stop joking around guys, or I'll put another huge pic in my sig.

Anyway, pick Centaur Hunter, follow Oka, vorpalize and enchant a longbow, switch to TSO, bless your longbow... PROFIT!

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 16:05

I won a MfHu recently 6 runes :D

basics :
*start with javelins
*train up polearms when you find a spear - upgrade to trident or bardiche
*beef up STR a bit - then switch to INT
*choose oka or trog for ammo gifts
*do not train spellcasting skills until endgame - early/midgame its all about skewering enemies
*use berserk or heroism liberally, i prefer heroism for this build as +5 to combat skills is very nice and Oka doesn't mind you casting spells
*5 skill in shields after you train up offensive skills, equip a buckler

midgame
*good evasion
*good polearm killing
*good javelin killing

endgame
*haste
*Ozocubu's Armour
*phase shift
*TSO shield god power
*have TSO bless a demon trident
*steel and silver javelins are still good endgame

I had about 40 AC / 40 EV / 40 SH when my buffs where up.

side note - switching between TSO and EVE was fun - piety is easy to max and EVE has some nice hell benefits / mutation removal.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice