On Giant Spiked Clubs

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:38

On Giant Spiked Clubs

At what point should an Ogre reasonably switch to using giant spiked clubs?

Obviously they do great damage, but the chance to hit is poor.

Do you use dire flails and great maces (especially with enchantments) for a while before bringing out the big gun?

What level of fighting / M&F is necessary to get a decent chance to hit?

Do you switch to a higher accuracy weapon against enemies with high EV?

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:42

Re: On Giant Spiked Clubs

15 skill, approx

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:52

I start using them as soon as I find one, which is hopefully much earlier than 15 M&F skill. Agains high-EV tough enemies (like, say, black mamba) I use wands.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 07:07

I normally use a regular giant club the entire game. I find the investment to be more efficient, but I guess thats just me.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 17:30

Completely subjectively, and someone else can do the math on this and prove me wrong, but GSC seems pretty damn good to me immediately.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
ydeve

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 18:56

Hmm. Different opinions have been presented. Time for some fsim perhaps. Meh.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 19:12

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Hmm. Different opinions have been presented. Time for some fsim perhaps. Meh.

Agreed
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 19:19

Where's sandman when you need him?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 22:33

I did a zero-skill fsim study a couple months ago viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19394. Giant club (not GSC because accuracy is most important at low skill) is better than any other M&F against high AC or normal foes, but you definitely want to use a smaller one against high EV i.e adders. That study was for mages picking up stuff off the floor in the early dungeon, but at least it gives a starting point.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 02:29

Until you have decent* skill, using the weapon with the greatest enchantment is often good. I'm happy to just put on a GC/GSC and forget about it as soon as I have a few enchant or brand scrolls, Og will get skill fast enough.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 04:15

As early as possible. If up against high evasion at low skill, might want to not use it because you will miss. Higher Dex will help as it was said to increase to hit now.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 07:52

I have my best results with Ogres not using the clubs.

Personally I like using Shields with my Ogres to make up for their lack of defense [Large Size + Bad dodging Apt + Can't wear most armors; while their Shields Apt is only -1 and they need less skill anyway]

I takes a lot less skill to put a Star to Mindelay than a Giant Club. It's a lot easier to obtain branded and Randart versions of the other M+F weapons as well. Due to your +3 Apt in M+F; you can quickly reach mindelay and then dump your XP into something else [Like Shields]

That said what I'm enjoying with Ogres right now is a OgFi [So you start with a Shield] of Pakellas. I was having a great run with a Whip of Freezing until I got killed by an Unseen Horror I couldn't see or deal with. It's really not too painful to dump XP into a -1 and -2 skill when your other 2 main skills are both +3.

You ca use Giant Clubs; but you have to be wary that an Ogre with no Shields; who hasn't found any armour he can wear yet; is about as squishy in terms of defenses as an Octopode [Just with more HP]

For this message the author raikaria has received thanks:
pumpyscump

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 11:32

raikaria wrote:I have my best results with Ogres not using the clubs.

Personally I like using Shields with my Ogres to make up for their lack of defense [Large Size + Bad dodging Apt + Can't wear most armors; while their Shields Apt is only -1 and they need less skill anyway]

I takes a lot less skill to put a Star to Mindelay than a Giant Club. It's a lot easier to obtain branded and Randart versions of the other M+F weapons as well. Due to your +3 Apt in M+F; you can quickly reach mindelay and then dump your XP into something else [Like Shields]

That said what I'm enjoying with Ogres right now is a OgFi [So you start with a Shield] of Pakellas. I was having a great run with a Whip of Freezing until I got killed by an Unseen Horror I couldn't see or deal with. It's really not too painful to dump XP into a -1 and -2 skill when your other 2 main skills are both +3.

You ca use Giant Clubs; but you have to be wary that an Ogre with no Shields; who hasn't found any armour he can wear yet; is about as squishy in terms of defenses as an Octopode [Just with more HP]

Have you considered that as a player who struggles to win the things you do may be bad? Like, maybe someone whose idea of a great run is getting killed by an unseen horror is probably not running a great strategy? I'm not trying to be a dick but come on. Crawl is very winnable. If you're trying to win but you're not winning, then you're doing it wrong.

Also, ogres have nearly 50% more hp than octopodes, that is a massive increase in survivability.

For this message the author Hands has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago, Sar, ZoFy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 16:38

if you're not using a G(S)C as an ogre you probably picked the wrong race

like, I do think that G(S)C is actually very good, but that's also almost irrelevant, since if you're not using a G(S)C you're either a bad troll or a bad minotaur, and in those cases you should just pick troll or minotaur from the outset if your goal is to win

possibly you do want a bit more than 0 skill before you use G(S)C, especially since the GSC nerf, but I'm too lazy to go fsim it and will just suggest you should use it very quickly

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, Lasty, nago, Sar, ydeve

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 17:23

I actually just about get ready for the +0 unbranded GSC, 1.0 attack delay with heroism, hit chance seemed OK. And then Oka handed Eos (+11 morningstar {elec, -Tele rElec SInv}) to me. I'll go with that for the time being until I get an actually enchanted/branded GSC. What are you gonna do?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 17:41

Eos is cool so I'd use it!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 18:29

I am.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 19:16

Besides, once you've squish-frazzled a spiny frog thanks to the power of the goddess of the dawn, it's not easy to go back to something as uncivilised as a giant spiked club.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 12th June 2016, 08:35

Oka is teasing me: Here have Eos. - Thanks. - I changed my mind, here have Skullcrusher instead! - Oh.
All I really want is a hat.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 12th June 2016, 21:32

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice