SpEn Fire Dragon Armor?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 16:11

SpEn Fire Dragon Armor?

I am playing an SpEn, and I found a +0 fire dragon armor. I am in depths:2, having cleared lair, swamp, spider, orc, all of elf besides the treasure vaults, crypt, regular dungeon, and vaults besides vaults:5. I have no armor skill whatsoever. Should I start training armor? I have a bunch of enchant armor scrolls.
Last edited by arandomperson12 on Thursday, 9th June 2016, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 16:42

Re: SpEn Fire Dragon Armor?

In my limited experience, spriggans are so weak that wearing anything heavier than mottled (maybe swamp), especially if you are planning to use spells at all, is a poor idea. I've also seen others suggest that spriggans stick to robes or SDA, though if you do have big +Str bonuses from gear, medium armor can be considered.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 16:44

No strength bonuses. Also, I have only found fire and ice dragon armors, and have not yet seen a steam or mottled dragon armor.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 16:48

Nobody can give real advice based on so little information. Show us a dump, please.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 16:50

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 17:09

I wouldn't do it. It would be inconvenient to balance out the cold vulnerability (you'd have to wear the rC ring, and thus lose one of your good rings), and also impossible to get rC+. Just leave it for now, I say.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
arandomperson12

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 17:53

dont wear FDA on spen

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 18:59

Fully enchant troll leather armour and learn Ozocubu's armour if possible. The extra MR from your robe does nothing for you (spriggan + Four Winds is already immune to all MR-based attacks) and spriggan speed trivializes the speed penalty from Ozo's. If TLA is not available then robes of (cold) resistance (since you currently have no rC) and archmagi are also good options.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 20:26

dont wear TLA on spen either (or anything except like, an ogre), wear a robe (or steam dragon armour if you want)

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:00

Why wear a robe over TLA? Is one resistance pip of some kind better than the added AC?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:10

Making troll leather armour is only marginally better than picking up a +0 leather armour off the ground and enchanting it to +1 - same AC (unless you have lots of armour skill, which you do not, since you are wearing (troll) leather), same ER. The only advantages are the regeneration and a very slight increase in GDR, neither of which is exciting. It only becomes better than that plain leather if you are willing to sink 4 or 5 enchant armour scrolls into it, which should not be true unless you are an ogre or troll; you're better off enchanting aux armour. And it's not rare to find non-+0 leather or a non-+0 robe on the ground.
In addition to that, if spriggans could wear leather they actually wouldn't want to (except SpBe and the like). Ideal body armour for SpEn is a robe of the archmagi but any +2 robe is endgame body armour.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:42

I have a +2 magic resistance robe, a +2 fire resistance robe, a +2 cold resistance robe, and a +0 randart negative energy resist robe. Which one should I wear? I cannot really switch easily in combat.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:59

Wear one of the +2 ones, doesn't really matter which. The rF+ one is probably a bit better than the others in general.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:27

duvessa wrote:Making troll leather armour is only marginally better than picking up a +0 leather armour off the ground and enchanting it to +1 - same AC (unless you have lots of armour skill, which you do not, since you are wearing (troll) leather), same ER. The only advantages are the regeneration and a very slight increase in GDR, neither of which is exciting. It only becomes better than that plain leather if you are willing to sink 4 or 5 enchant armour scrolls into it, which should not be true unless you are an ogre or troll; you're better off enchanting aux armour. And it's not rare to find non-+0 leather or a non-+0 robe on the ground.
In addition to that, if spriggans could wear leather they actually wouldn't want to (except SpBe and the like). Ideal body armour for SpEn is a robe of the archmagi but any +2 robe is endgame body armour.

I don't quite get it. You're a Spriggan! You only need 9 enchant armor scrolls (tops!) to max out your troll leather armor, hat, and cloak. That leaves you with 4 AC better than a + 2 robe, which is significant if you're a Spriggan. By the endgame you're gonna hope for decent faerie dragon armor or RF + Troll Leather or quicksilver dragon armor and something to boost your strength, right?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:37

No I definitely wouldn't be hoping for that, 9 scrolls is a lot and I might find new aux items I want to enchant, the faerie dragon armour likely won't even generate and almost always sucks, and quicksilver dragon armour is like worse swamp dragon armour

I would be hoping to wear a robe of the archmagi, probably followed by steam dragon armour, followed by a robe of anything else, those other options wouldn't really enter my mind because they are worse

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 12:41

I am worshipping Gozag, so I do not get hide drops, because the corpses all turned to gold. I got the fire dragon armor from killing Margery. I have not seen a robe of the archmagi, or I probably would have put it on.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 14:06

I think it'd be pretty rare for me to wear anything other than a robe on spen. AC just isn't that important for spen and robes have really good egos.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice