What happened?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 07:32

What happened?

I had a pretty promising HeGl of Hepliaklqana going, and was saving up to buy the plutonium sword, when this happened:

What happened? Not only did the vampire hit me twice in 0.6 turns, my own ancestor then finished me off without being confused or anything. Why did the ancestor attack me?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 07:33

Re: What happened?

Was your ally confused?
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 07:35

From your log:

Code:
You hear some strange, mumbled words.
Leofric appears confused.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 07:36

crate wrote:From your log:

Code:
You hear some strange, mumbled words.
Leofric appears confused.

It doesn't have a ? on it's portrait though?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 07:40

That part could be a bug, but paying attention to the message log is kind of important too... ;o
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 08:18

infinitevox wrote:That part could be a bug, but paying attention to the message log is kind of important too... ;o

Most things I need to know are displayed on the screen. I do look at it a fair bit, but I don't read every message. If I'd known he was confused, I wouldn't have just stood there :(

For this message the author Infinite Monkeys has received thanks:
Hurkyl

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 20:27

the ? indicates stabbability, not confusion (hence why it also appears on wandering monsters who haven't noticed you or who are distracted by an ally). the stab indicator doesn't appear on your allies, since it's generally not very useful to know when to stab your allies, and since it'd appear any time they were doing anything but following you.

that being said, it would be good to have some visual indicator for allies being confused. possibly the ?.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 21:01

PleasingFungus wrote:that being said, it would be good to have some visual indicator for allies being confused. possibly the ?.

I think it would be confusing and misleading to have ? mean confusion for allies and mean stabbability for enemies. (Maybe I misunderstand what you are suggesting.)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 21:56

PleasingFungus wrote:the ? indicates stabbability, not confusion (hence why it also appears on wandering monsters who haven't noticed you or who are distracted by an ally). the stab indicator doesn't appear on your allies, since it's generally not very useful to know when to stab your allies, and since it'd appear any time they were doing anything but following you.

I had no idea about this and I won the game over 30 times already. Please add an indicator of some sorts.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks: 3
Amphouse, chequers, Shard1697

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 00:36

Leszczynek wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:the ? indicates stabbability, not confusion (hence why it also appears on wandering monsters who haven't noticed you or who are distracted by an ally). the stab indicator doesn't appear on your allies, since it's generally not very useful to know when to stab your allies, and since it'd appear any time they were doing anything but following you.

I had no idea about this and I won the game over 30 times already. Please add an indicator of some sorts.

Yeah, ditto. (Okay, 27 wins, but still!)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 16:44

Having the ? stand for stabbability is a bit weird. It makes sense in console since there's only a limited number of highlight colors you can use, but in tiles it's kind of confusing (hah) to have the same symbol for "confused" plus "hasn't noticed you" plus "attacking your ally". Even just different colors of the icon would be fine.
I have the same complaint about the "zzz" for paralysed versus sleeping monsters.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 19:17

? for confusion is good, because there's a cultural connotation there. It's less strong with wandering or distraction, but there's still a "wait wut?" thing that applies in those conditions.

I think putting a standard ? on confused allies would be good. If you don't know what it means in a context, examine the ally.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 21:02

genericpseudonym wrote:Having the ? stand for stabbability is a bit weird. It makes sense in console
there is no ? for stabbability in the console
confused kobold:
Spoiler: show
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 22:38

Until now I thought the ? sign indicated three things: unaware, confused, and distracted.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 15:16

Basically, I interpret it as "this creature is not paying attention to you in the normal way" which is why it would seem sane on allies too.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice