Chaos Knights

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 21:49

Chaos Knights

(A) I've been running random species chaos knights (got an ogre up to L:22) and I'm wondering what's the easiest species to win as a chaos knight? Trolls? Spriggans? Draconinans because you always end up with a bunch of armor mutations?

(B) Seriously, how the hell do you win as a mummy chaos knight? There's so much "oh shit, Xom did WHAT?!?! Time for a potion of haste/curing/invisibility!" I dunno how you'd even start trying to win CK without potions.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:13

Re: Chaos Knights

I've been told that you win MuCK by sitting in the temple (at the exit) for 100K turns and scumming Xom's gifts. You can get artifacts, high-tier wands and whatnot.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:15

You don't actually need to do that, but some people find it fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:18

you should play like an atheist character except with the knowledge that xom will randomly try to kill you with a confuse/swap every 2 minutes

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Leszczynek, Sar

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:25

duvessa wrote:you should play like an atheist character except with the knowledge that xom will randomly try to kill you with a confuse/swap every 2 minutes

Mummy atheist doesn't sound completely unwinnable (Although I've never won with a mummy, period) and Xom is slightly better than no God. Maybe it would't be... that....bad...

Waitttt.... mummies can't mutate, right?

So Xom is going to be worse than no God.

Yowtch. I guess "hope for insane item drops" really is your best bet.

I'm not going to sit in the temple for a million turns, though!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:36

Sar wrote:You don't actually need to do that, but some people find it fun.

Besides being a scummy strategy, isn't that actually the optimal play if you want to win? And if it is, should it be allowed (i'd vote for yes because mummies are bad enough already)?
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:39

What I mean is that I won a MuCK a long time ago and I didn't scum because that didn't sound fun to me.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 6th June 2016, 23:13

I think my Chaos Knight win was a merfolk. I didn't have that many problems. Maybe just luck though.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 01:23

I think TrCK is probably the easiest. You avoid the crappy starting weapon. And you're a troll. It was probably still the easiest even back when CK had better weapons.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

For this message the author Abominae has received thanks:
Sar

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 01:36

MiCK and TrCK are probably the easiest.

As for a MuCK, there's this good old trick for Chaos Knights - leaving Xom for another god.

For this message the author Leszczynek has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 02:51

Leaving Xom for Zin to lock in the sweet mutations...

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 04:32

Fe maybe? The extra lives could help protect against the randomness.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 04:32

Reptisaurus wrote:Waitttt.... mummies can't mutate, right?

So Xom is going to be worse than no God.
I assure you that being unable to mutate is not why MuCK is uniquely bad.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 22:55

That wasn't exactly what I was saying.

Having a bunch of skewing-towards-good mutations is what makes Xom better than no God.

I'm sure losing those isn't the worst part of playing a Mummy Chaos Knight. I use consumable ALL THE DAMN TIME when playing Chaos Knights, so losing potions has got to be the very worst part.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 23:38

I don't think Xom is even actually better than atheist for most (all?) species anymore, swaps are so frequent and so bad.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 00:16

duvessa wrote:I don't think Xom is even actually better than atheist for most (all?) species anymore, swaps are so frequent and so bad.

Yeah, that could be true. My current Tengu has 40 AC at only level 18 (thanks Xom!) but still comes close to dying all the time. And Xom's gifts really don't feel that great if you're not prepared to wait a million turns. (Or maybe the other gift giving Gods just spoil me with their artifact weapons.)

Still, it seems like Xom helps overall more than hurts. (Which doesn't make him a "good" God or better than atheist. If he makes 20% of dangerous fights more dangerous that's not a risk worth taking.)

But he has flat-out saved my ass on several occasions, too. And my poor ogre died on Vaults:4 due to a small army of monsters turning up on an already cleared level, and me not reading fog when running away, rather than Xom...

Although looking back Xom did change a Very Ugly Thing into a Golden Dragon. That might have actually been what killed me. I take it back. Screw you, Xom!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice