Suggest easy combos

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 06:19

Re: Suggest easy combos

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I have no proof, but it seems intuitively quite possible that floor difficulty is a function of combo. I would expect different combos (played 'optimally') to have different power curves.

Floor difficulty is probably somewhat related to combo, but this effect is amplified considerably by bad play. For example, when I was new to crawl I strongly disagreed with the idea that the early dungeon was dangerous, and I didn't die there very often. But that was because I was playing MBe, MiGl etc where you don't need any tactics at all to get through the first few floors. MiBe isn't weak at any time in a normal game (without bizarre skilling decisions), but there does come a point where you have to use tactics to some extent.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 08:35

Floor difficulty is also of course affected in large part by procedural generation, which seems to be getting entirely overlooked here. Unexpected OOD spawns or a really shitty vault that the player doesn't recognize on sight and know to avoid can cause deaths or at least the use of a lot of consumables. That being said, this sort of swinginess also affects early D more than any other part of the game; a player who wakes up a centaur or water moccasin on d:3 or d:4 has a good chance of just being screwed if they haven't ID-ed an escape consumable or at least something that will directly help them win that fight (assuming they can't just spriggan-run away).

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 19:32

Mummy Chaos Knight.

Just run that a couple times and ALL other combos become easy.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
ZoFy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 19:51

I am playing MuCK at the moment, it is easy with lucky drops. All you need is whip of electro, wand of tele, two rings of protection from fire and body armour with rElec. Together with intrinsic rN+++ and rPois it means you have Zot5 resists before Lair and cannot die unless banished.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 19:53

Uhm... many of my MuCK-s died because Xom banished them in lair....

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 19:56

But it is not hard, you just randomly die because of Xom. With other combos avoiding banishment can be actually hard, you will be trying to escape from banishers/paralyzers etc., here you are just playing normally since there is no protection from banishment.
Also I forgot to mention -Tele item, it is really great with Xom for resting. Again I found it very early :(

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 20:22

MuCK is hard because you have to force yourself to play optimally because if you get confused with one dangerous monster on screen, you probably won't die, but with several it's much more dicey.

Or you can just get lucky like I did!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 21:21

True, yet this is how I normally play when I don't have hunger nor piety. The most enjoyable CK probably.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 21:22

Well the best thing about Xom is the positive muts and mummies don't mutate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 21:26

Well enjoyable is subjective. Also I found 4 rods, Xom gave me one more, that's before first rune. More enjoyable than those HOAr/MiAr of Pakellas I played recently because they were starving during fights.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 19th June 2016, 22:33

DD of Pakellas
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice