Hapliaklqana Ancestor

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 11:02

Hapliaklqana Ancestor

Decided to try this god out. The ancestor appears to be very useful in the early dungeon. Has anyone else tried this God? Is the ancestor's "background" or class random or can it be changed? Any tips for playing this god? Right now I'm still trying to get a Tengu skald going. I think ancestor plus SW polearm might make a nice little trio with the tengu.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 11:44

Re: Hapliaklqana Ancestor

Ancestor is incredibly good early, allowing safe escape from almost any threat. At XL 5 you get to choose a class, its not random.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 12:36

Sadly it works really bad with any ranged abillity/weapons/spells. Should make misseles go through it like ds demonic pals mut.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

For this message the author Lacuenta has received thanks: 3
Leszczynek, phloomp, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 15:37

It is weird to see people want to play with "single powerful ally" god but don't want to play like they have a single powerful ally. Position yourself, position the ally (tell it to retreat, recall, tell to attack), learn smite targeting spells, idealize, use transference. And the most important thing - choose ally background wisely, it changes your playstyle with the same character.
I would not like the funniest god changed just because some players want all gods be Makhleb-style.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 17:01

Because it is annoying as hell to have to use advanced positioning against every fucking rat?
Plus it breaks one of the best and basic feature in the game ('tab' magic) so It isn't really working at the moment.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 17:04

I use . vs those rats, it kills them pretty fast.
I don't understand your complaint, is it first time your have an ally? Never used summons/necromancy/yred/beogh before?

Edit. I have just checked my Hepl game where I didn't cast any spells except RMsl.

Code:
Vanquished Creatures
2312 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
520 creatures vanquished.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 17:39

'.' is at least two keystroke on two different keys instead one on the same key, provided the ancenstor isn't in between you and the enemy, otherwise is a fuckload of more keypress on a fuckload of different keys.

I never go Beogh or Yred because I find their summons terrible as you have even to micromanage in a way they survive as much as possible. At least Yred gives some durable summons which kinda survive even to sub optimal play, and don't require to baby - sitting for half an hour to get strong like my I was playing a sim-farm-don'tknowthename game, but he is still unbearable for me.
I use summons\necro but (almost) never with ranged because it's terribly annoying - and bad with the interface.

I do think a (semi) permanent ally shouldn't be an hassle to play with interface-wise.
Fedhas' allies and ds' ones work well (except with some spells and other things because yes) and I think hap would only benefits from that.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 17:55

Sorry, my reply was not clear. I mean I literally use ".", I just pass turns and let the ancestor kill those rats. I wrote in another thread, my ancestor killed a Juggernaut Zombie without my help, rats should not be an assue.

I see your point now but I am not sure we should make friendly fire protection, that would require a nerf for ancestor and would make the god less fun for some players who like positioning.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 03:00

Making the "t" command not take any turns/auts would be a great start.
I never understood why that takes time, are the characters incapable of walking and talking at the same time?
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 03:50

Because then it would be optimal to 't' every turn, which is very tedious. Currently you only 't' if the gain is worth giving up a move or attack.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 05:40

the 't' command shouldn't even exist honestly

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice