Should I start getting into Magic?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 20:05

Should I start getting into Magic?

Should I start getting into magic with my Merfolk Gladiator?
http://pastebin.com/NV3c2qhm

I feel like I know a lot more about magic now, and I have dozens of books at my disposal. I just beat V:5.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 20:09

Re: Should I start getting into Magic?

Learning some good cheap utility spells (like apportation, blink, repel missiles) is a very good idea for every character. But this is probably an exception, as you are wearing a CPA.

Do you want 3 runes or 15?

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 21:26

I have access to Mottled Dragon Armour, Fire Dragon Armour, Swamp Dragon Armour, Troll Armour etc...I don't need to wear Crystal Plate. I have never beaten the game before so I am probably going to go for 3 runes, just so I can say I have beaten the game before.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 22:02

Rokirem wrote:I have access to Mottled Dragon Armour, Fire Dragon Armour, Swamp Dragon Armour, Troll Armour etc...I don't need to wear Crystal Plate. I have never beaten the game before so I am probably going to go for 3 runes, just so I can say I have beaten the game before.

That is probably the best call. I think you would be most satisfied with that conclusion.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 22:11

I wouldn't bother with spells with a character in CPA doing a 3 rune game. And I would not swap the CPA for something else. You should be training armor and then fighting + armor.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 23:11

Lol, hate to get off topic, but how many levels of Zot are there? I almost just got my ass kicked by some fire ball thingy on Zot:1, clearing the floor was a hassle.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 23:21

It's not unreasonable to get level 1-2 spells even while wearing heavy armor. It will take very little experience for this point of the game and may be more valuable or efficient than, say, training more defenses.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 23:22

There are 5 levels of Zot. Orbs of Fire are the most dangerous enemies. Antimagic weapons are good against them, as well as silver javelins/tomahawks. You want to buff yourself (haste, might) when fighting them. They are immune to elements except cold (they have only rC+).

Note that you don't have to clear the Zot levels, especially Zot:5.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Rokirem

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 23:29

Yeah I found a Demon Trident of Freezing, and one went down a lot faster (Could just be RNG) but I found the main problem. Apparently I had 16 negative/red mutations? I managed to heal them all but wtf? What enemies do that kind of black magic BS?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 23:42

Rokirem wrote:Yeah I found a Demon Trident of Freezing, and one went down a lot faster (Could just be RNG) but I found the main problem. Apparently I had 16 negative/red mutations? I managed to heal them all but wtf? What enemies do that kind of black magic BS?

Orbs of Fire cast malmutate. It also happens to be one of the least dangerous things they can do.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 23:55

Just beat the game, gonna post in the other section of the forums, thanks for the opinions everybody!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice