How does Gozag work?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 29th May 2016, 18:15

How does Gozag work?

I'm playing a game with gozag but I'm struggling to understand the abilities.

Potion Petition: Purchase one set of potion effects. You immediately get the effects of one of three sets of potions, each containing 1-6 random, different potions. Sets containing more and/or better potions are more expensive to purchase. Once you activate the ability, you must choose and pay for one of the sets. The first use of Potion Petition is free.

So with this I assume I Invoke the ability, then have to choose a set of 3 potions. I am then immediately affected by all 3 potions (Rather than having them placed in my inventory?)

So using it would be before a difficult fight, or during a fight going south when you are running out of options?

Call Merchant: Fund a merchant to set up a new shop somewhere near to areas of the dungeon you have explored. You choose one out of four different Merchants with different shop types, one of which is a food shop (Mummies and vampires are not offered the food shop, thus receive only three choices). The first use of Call Merchant costs at most 800 gold for the best shop, increasing by 200 gold per use (though most shops are actually much cheaper). Chosen shops place only in unexplored levels of the Dungeon, Depths, and the Vaults, or at your feet if all the unexplored levels in those three branches already have called merchants.

So a shop will appear somewhere, but not necessarily anywhere near me?

Bribe Branch: Send money to the humanoid and demonic inhabitants of a branch to turn them temporarily neutral or incite them to join you. Uniques and all other enemy types are unaffected. (Costs 3000 Gold)

So I pay 3000 gold. Then monsters may or may not fight with me, or become peaceful. They take from the 3000 gold I've given, and when it runs out the effect is over? Can I restock it? What's the best use of this ability?

I'm playing an OpTm and was hoping to make a jewellery shop, but it seems that the chances are that itll appear somewhere that's nowhere near to where I am now?

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 29th May 2016, 18:25

Re: How does Gozag work?

delarado wrote:I'm playing a game with gozag but I'm struggling to understand the abilities.

Potion Petition: Purchase one set of potion effects. You immediately get the effects of one of three sets of potions, each containing 1-6 random, different potions. Sets containing more and/or better potions are more expensive to purchase. Once you activate the ability, you must choose and pay for one of the sets. The first use of Potion Petition is free.

So with this I assume I Invoke the ability, then have to choose a set of 3 potions. I am then immediately affected by all 3 potions (Rather than having them placed in my inventory?)

No, you are affected by 1-6 potions, you just have three choices (so the choices might be: [might, heal wounds], [heal wounds], [curing, haste, berserk rage, agility] for example). Yes, you are immediately affected. It's hard to say when it's most optimal to use, but in my experience you usually get some sort of healing from at least one set, so if you need healing and could use other buffs during a fight, it's probably a good idea.

delarado wrote:
Call Merchant: Fund a merchant to set up a new shop somewhere near to areas of the dungeon you have explored. You choose one out of four different Merchants with different shop types, one of which is a food shop (Mummies and vampires are not offered the food shop, thus receive only three choices). The first use of Call Merchant costs at most 800 gold for the best shop, increasing by 200 gold per use (though most shops are actually much cheaper). Chosen shops place only in unexplored levels of the Dungeon, Depths, and the Vaults, or at your feet if all the unexplored levels in those three branches already have called merchants.

So a shop will appear somewhere, but not necessarily anywhere near me?

That is almost certainly outdated - I remember that when I last played Gozag, shops were immediately placed at my feettentacles, no matter where I was (e.g. Lair).

delarado wrote:
Bribe Branch: Send money to the humanoid and demonic inhabitants of a branch to turn them temporarily neutral or incite them to join you. Uniques and all other enemy types are unaffected. (Costs 3000 Gold)

So I pay 3000 gold. Then monsters may or may not fight with me, or become peaceful. They take from the 3000 gold I've given, and when it runs out the effect is over? Can I restock it? What's the best use of this ability?

Yes, that's pretty much it. I haven't gotten far enough with Gozag to be able to comment with absolute authority on this, but from what I remember watching others, this is pretty much how it works. It's great for getting friendly orbs of fire in Zot, and also has good use in the extended branches I guess. Not much else.

delarado wrote:I'm playing an OpTm and was hoping to make a jewellery shop, but it seems that the chances are that itll appear somewhere that's nowhere near to where I am now?

As I said, false. Milk those jewellery shops for all they're worth. (Just don't go overboard, try and keep some money for Potion Petition if you aren't suffering from an urgent equipment shortage.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 13:30

Well this god seems OP, look at this amazing jewellery store I just got.....

Code:

a -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of ice (unknown)
 b -   28 gold   a cursed -2 ring of intelligence
 c -   28 gold   a cursed -2 ring of evasion (unknown)
 d -   63 gold   a cursed ring of teleportation (unknown)
 e -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of ice (unknown)
 f -   63 gold   a cursed ring of loudness (unknown)

Just awesome.

For this message the author delarado has received thanks:
reosarevok

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 13:32

delarado wrote:Well this god seems OP, look at this amazing jewellery store I just got.....

Gozag must be the twin of Okawaru :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 15:36

Magipi wrote:
delarado wrote:Well this god seems OP, look at this amazing jewellery store I just got.....

Gozag must be the twin of Okawaru :D

Shh...
No one needs to know...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice